Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

As the title suggests, I've a strange PAS fluid leak on my 2.4 159. Yesterday morning noticed a bit of groaning and particularly heavy steering when leaving the dentist's. As I was heading home anyway, I thought to check the level of the PAS fluid, and to my surprise, was below the minimum level, a quick top-up and was fine. I've had the car approaching 2 years, and never had any issues with steering fluid loss - I did replace the fluid completely about 6 months ago - like for like, existing green was switched out for the compatible CHF 11S fluid.

I've checked the obvious signs of rack seal failure, and I've no sign of dampness around the rod ends, and the gaiters are in decent nick, likewise the PAS cooler (assuming that's what it is in front of the rad) is fine, along with all associated pipework.

I have a bit of dampness on the subframe which has travelled, so no way of seeing if it has come from the reservior, which seems dry (including the overflow/breather, and cap) or PAS pump, there are signs of dampness below the pump, there is a plastic guard above the alternator belt which is saturated, and it seems some as hit the top of the alternator.

Anyone seen a pump failure on these before?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I’ve laterally just done mine 2 weekends ago

Noisy, heavy steering, frothing in the reservoir.

I looked at the plethora of threads on here and was anticipating doing the hydraulic pipe hack - or worse, steering rack seal drama....

Thankfully (for me) it was merely a slight weeping on the banjo bolt (20mm socket) so a drain, remove reservoir and clean filter, and a tight nip back up on said bolt cured the air ingress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Paul,

I only get a slight bit of frothing on full lock, along with the usual 'full lock' noise.

It seems as if the banjo bolt is a bit weepy, or has been in the past, so I will try that tonight.

Reactions: paul_o

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo, looks like we have a winner!

Fresh signs of oil on the bottom of the hose connections, and the metal swan neck part has a nice drop of clean oil on it, directly above the alternator.

Looks like I'll have to take it off and have it down Pirtek or similar for a repair.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up replacing the whole pipe from Alfa Workshop for £150, did it in the drive and was relatively straightforward, but space at the rack end was not fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts