Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: I started my 155V6 this dinner and was greeted with a very loud, and embarrasing metallic rattling noise. Trying to be cool, hmmmmm.. i drove off ignoring it. About 100 yards down the road it stopped, 'great I thought. I then stopped at some traffic lights and noticed a slight 'whiney' type noise (hard to describe) it seems that it dissapears at idle and doesn't get progressively louder with increased revs! Any ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
Well my V6 rattles and it sometimes whines :)

The V6 12v has rattly tappets. The exhaust clearances can be adjusted quite easily, but the intake clearances are a pain and a lot of work involved so most people, like me, just leave them.

My whining seems to come from the water pump or belts or something. I put in some water pump lube stuff a few months ago and it stopped whining. I've noticed that it's started to come back on hot dry days.

Hope that's useful ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Have you got oil in the engine??? :eek:

Wonder if one of the hydraulic tappets has lost oil, the whining could be anything really from belts, tensioner or water pump as Marlon suggested.

wrinx

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
It's not a misfire is it? If one of your cylinders isn't firing you may get a rattly start-up. Loose plug or cap, posibly?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice guys, unfortunately she got worse on the way home and i had to take her in! I'd love to be able to check her out myself but unfortunately (for me '££££') my mechanical skills are limited!
If this turns out to be bad news it could be the end of her....
checked the oil, that was fine by the way

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:rolleyes: Aux belt tensioner and replacement belts (alternator & Air con/power steering) £170!!!!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) Yeah I was pleasantly suprised! I use Eurocarcare (formerly citronome) in Derby. Have always found them to be very knowledgeable and reasonably priced....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts