Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i was wondering if anyone can help, there is a strange noise coming from the cam belt area, (a chafing dry, worn bearing sound) ive taken it to my local garage and, in an attempt to pin point the said noise they removed and ran the engine without the aux belt and it still made the the same noise. the strange thing is when they replaced the belt all became quiet:confused: !!,all was well for a few days but then today ive fired the engine up and within 10 mins the noise came back. ive taken back to the same garage and theyve said it might need a new cam belt kit (it is due one) but cannot guarantee that replacing it will get rid of the noise. any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maybe a tensioner grinding, if it went away and came back when messing around with the aux belt then that may be it. If that is starting to make nasty noises, i would recomend minimul driving until the belts AND the tensioners (which will be the problem) are changed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks 4 the reply langers, took the car to an indy garage yesterday and they came to the same conclusion as you.(worn tensioner,and or idler) its going in on tuesday and will report back when i get the car back. many thanks again:thumbs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi, update time... got the car back complete with new belts and tensioners and its eeriely quiet!!(thanks langers!:) )you guys really know your stuff!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
1/2 the problem is when people dont describe it very well, granted it can be hard to.

Think you describded it in the right words for people like me to understand.

Glad you got it sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts