Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned my Mjet 16valver for over 2 years now the only thing I've not been able to trace is a funny noise on start up. It only happens in the winter and only when its been left overnight. Its almost like a marble in cup rattling mixed with a sqeaky belt for a couple of seconds before slowly disappearing to nothing.:confused:

I've changed everything over the years but haven't seemed to be able to find it. So far I've rulled out as I've changed it all with no change:

Cambelt
tensioners etc
auxbelt and all tensioners/idlers
The dual mass flywheel
waterpump

All I have left is the aircon unit or the diesel pump. Its really weird that it only happens when its been cold. You can gauge temperature of teh night before by how loud it is. The colder the noisier. So any suggestions on what the problem could be as its beginning to get colder in the evenings again and the noise has begun to return would be awesome. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And Bump:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Alternator? Cold makes starting harder and the battery has less oomph, causing more initial load on the alternator. That would definitely make the alt belt squeal, not sure where the other noise though..

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, its had a genuine alternator on it in the last 2 years. Did think the aircon but can't be sure

·
Registered
822 Posts
Having owned my Mjet 16valver for over 2 years now the only thing I've not been able to trace is a funny noise on start up. It only happens in the winter and only when its been left overnight. Its almost like a marble in cup rattling mixed with a sqeaky belt for a couple of seconds before slowly disappearing to nothing.:confused:

I've changed everything over the years but haven't seemed to be able to find it. So far I've rulled out as I've changed it all with no change:

Cambelt
tensioners etc
The dual mass flywheel
waterpump

All I have left is the aircon unit or the diesel pump. Its really weird that it only happens when its been cold. You can gauge temperature of teh night before by how loud it is. The colder the noisier. So any suggestions on what the problem could be as its beginning to get colder in the evenings again and the noise has begun to return would be awesome. :thumbs:
Cats can lead you a merry dance noise wise, particularly the front one on V6's
Noisey on cold start up, can sound like a sticking hydraulic valve or sometimes like an exhaust blow. Noise goes after about two mins ticking over. :cool:

·
Registered
37,145 Posts
Could be the clutch on the aircon compressor.

The aircon will be off and the clutch disengaged no matter what the control panel is set to if it is below a certain ambient temperature. (5 or 6ºC IIRC)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Starter motor? Mine used to make a strange noise on start-up. Apparently it is common for the mechanism to stick. But it was a brief noise, rather than slowly dying away as you describe..

·
Registered
9 Posts

Cambelt
tensioners etc
The dual mass flywheel
waterpump

I don't yet own an alfa.. so this will prob be totally useless to you, but the power steering pump on my audi makes a strange sounds in the winter. Prob no help to you at all.. but just my 2p worth. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts