Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Elod from Hungary and I need some help with my Giulietta

My Giulietta makes some strange noises coming from the engine bay. I can hear it only at idle and low RPMs. It is a whining (bearing??) noise maybe. After I start it up it whines. If I turn on my seat heating, or turn on my headlamps or move my steering wheel, noise is getting a bit louder than it goes back to "normal" whine. Whats wrong?
Maybe auxiliary belt or alternator pulley? My car has done 220k kilometers (around 137k miles). Auxiliary belt was changed at 130k kilometers.

Sorry for my english.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Impossible to say over internet without hearing it but as you say it gets worse with electrical loads that suggest alternator related to me.

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
The most likely (and cheapest to fix) cause are the tensioner or the fixed wheels on the auxillary belt circuit. If they have never been changed at your mileage then they are likely to be well worn.
The fact that the noise changes with electrical load would also point to this as the belt will exert more load on the tensioners due to the alternator being harder to turn.

The parts are not expensive or hard to fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked my belt and pulleys during the last weekend. I've sprayed the belt with some anti-slipping spray (I don't know how they called). Now the noise is gone, everything is fine. I will change the belt soon.

After 500kms: Everything fine, no noise. Spray worked well.:D

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi,
What you have used is commonly referred to as "belt dressing" spray, this is okay for most Vee belts but unusual to be required on a ribbed belt like what is used on the aircon and alternator belts ie (auxiliary belt), they have a much larger contact patch with ribs running longitudinally along the length of the belt and maybe yours had been contaminated with something on the belt or pulleys? Do not under any circumstances think that this kind of spray can fix any problem with the cambelt, this is a belt with teeth placed latitudinally across the length of the belt and the engine relies on the correct mesh of the belt into the pulleys to ensure proper engine timing functions. Belt dressing could make this worse if used on the cambelt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts