Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon guys, as mentioned before just recently got the alfa 156 sportwagon, anyway just trying to find out various problems

i took a sound bite from the phone
alfa 156 noise - YouTube

and wandering what the noise is. Its the same noise all the time, doesnt go faster or slower. I Thought it might be the power steering as when i turn the wheel i also hear a noise from within the cabin, but when turning the wheel it makes no difference on the noise.

L

·
0 Posts
disconnect the AUX belt & see if the noise stops, i doubt it. Either the water pump or the timing belt tensioner are about to expire

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
how do you disconnect the aux belt?

the other are 2 things i never wanted to hear lol :( sounds expensive

also looking at past reciepts it had its cam belt done at 64k - 2006 and then again at 101k - 2010 its now sitting on 109k but dont seem to find any reciepts of water pump.

L

·
0 Posts
find the tensioner, on it is a 15mm bolt, put onto it a 15mm spanner & turn CCW. The belt can be removed. Take a picture of its path before removal.

L

·
0 Posts
after reading the other thread with regards to lack of performance you better get the timing checked too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
after reading the other thread with regards to lack of performance you better get the timing checked too.
its ok for performance, i just wasnt driving it right lol

anyway ive checked 2 things

power steering fluid is brown(thought it should be red)

and the big pulley at the bottom
alfa 156 pulley - YouTube

i dont know if its wobbling or not maybe because its dark and it has a coloured ring around the edge making my eyes see things but kinda looks like its wobbling, cant really notice it on the video tho.

Just spoke to previous owner and he has said it is the aux belt "nothing to worry about " his words not mine lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd check the idler and tensioner on the auxilliary belt. Remove the belt and spin them by hand. Any noise, or gritty feel and the bearings are shot. Replace... If it's not that, dig deeper, and check the idler/tensioner on timing belt, and tensioner on the balance shaft belt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
didnt get a chance to do it today hopefully tomorrow and after i find a how-to lol realised this site doesnt have a section for that, or maybe im blind lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right ignore the first post, i lied lol

Anyway

After an hour this morning checking everything, THE NOISE

On a cold start the noise isnt their. After a few minutes the noise slowly creeps in. It sounds more like a squeeking noise. Are these cars VVT? i had a laguna that had a fcuked vvt pulley I had the car in the later stages so it sounded like a diesel lol. I THINK the noise disappears when accelerating its only when idling, but i will test this later with another driver. It this still sounds like the AUX belt then ill have it whipped of today and check, dont want to do it with out at least a 80% agreement thats its aux lol

Kinda just wanted to check everything on a cold start not had a chance apart from today

L

·
0 Posts
i'd put money on it that its either the water pump impellor slipping on its shaft or the timing belt tensioner min'ing out,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right i ave most of the cam belt cover off and their is tip ex. Their are 2 marks on each of the large pulleys, and one mark at the top on the plastic. Should these line up or something

L

·
0 Posts
the tippex king is alive & well in your area. best to get it checked using cam locks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well gonna try and get a shot of the alfa tools from someone, if not ill kindly post something in the scotland bit lol.

Gonna attempt to do the timing belt my self ill replace the water pump at the same time

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
cheers for that, i will get them asap, also noticed when taking the spark plugs out. on first cylinder the actual spark plug is covered in a beige/yellow substance. the rubber surrounding it (the lead) is also covered in this substance, the second spark plug for the first cylinder is also covering in a yellow/beige.white subtance. What could this be? forgot to say not only is it covered but this substance is a powder and its quarter the way up(the cylinder) from the bottom of the spark plug

1 - 20 of 23 Posts