Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i have one of those stange noices in my engine..

its a whizling sound, not too high pitched, and it only accurs at the folowing to situations..

1... letting go of the accelerator at 3000rpm down to 2500 on the 2 gear.

2....accelerating from 2500rpm to 3000rpm on the 3 gear.

If i at any point press down the clutch the sounds stops emidiatly.

any ideas??

The gear synchro is brand new, only months old, and the gear leverals are also new, clutch is 6 months old.

Nicholas

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clutch or input shaft (whatever its called...its late!) on the gearbox???

wrinx

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrinx..

the clutch, both master and slave is less than 6 months old. What the heck is a input shaft..sounds kind of XXX??

N

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Would say if the noise goes when you press the clutch its the release bearing thats noisy eek!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the risk of sounding foolish (well, why change the habit of a lifetime :D ) could this not just be the noise I hear on my 2.0 16v when falling through this rev-range (i.e. when I let my foot off at 3000rpm) which I assumed to be the variator doing it's stuff?! I assumed I only heard it in 1st, 2nd, sometimes 3rd due to road noise drowning it out at higher speeds.

Talking rubbish again? I'll get me coat...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would any of the items you have described be expensive to repair? Is it urgent?? I am a little short of $$$$ right now.

N

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if the box has been to bits it could be that they didnt 'loctite' the bearings in when they put it back together..if there bearing is left loose to spin in the case it makes an awfull noise,the only cure is to pull it appart again..

i would take it back to where it was done.!!!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
today i took the car to the mechanic. We took a ride, and he emediatly said, I think its the oil in the gear box, thats low?? What do you people think? Considering that the entier box was taken a part, cleaned out and new sychronizers were installed, MAYBE they used up most of the oil...i mean they were stright out of the box kind of new. I guess, that they could use up a lot of oil during the first months...and now i would have to add more.

Anyway, tomorrow the car is gong in, and they will have a closer look.

Nicholas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts