Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I park my car on the road outside my house (passenger side on the kerb,drivers side on the road so its always parked on an angle) and i've found some water on the passenger seat twice now :confused: its not a puddle but it is more than just a few drips of water.

1st time was a few weeks ago after it had been raining. At 1st i thought maybe its just where i opened the (passenger) door the rain water had been 'pulled' in but it was in the middle of the seat where i thought if it had come from the door it would have left a trail of water to where it was :confused:. Anyway, cleared it up and checked everywhere above the seat, round the door seals etc. pretty much everywhere on the passenger side and im not sure if the footwell 'might' have been a bit wet too. Can't quite remember though :rolleyes: and its been fine since :)

2nd time was tonight, i washed the car earlier then went to go out a bit later on but i'd already opened the boot so the interior light was on. As i pulled the handle to open the door im sure i saw the water already on the seat, same place as before and roughly the same amount. I dried it all again and checked everywhere buy still no sign of anywhere else being wet :confused: I didn't check the floor again though as i forgot but nothing on the headlining, interior light, door seal, no water on the inside of the glass (i thought maybe the water had got in if the window was slightly open)

Both times its been dark so i couldn't have a proper look but it just seems too close to the center of the car to have come from a window. if it helps i did get a (very bad) photo of it on my phone but its not great.

Any suggestions would be great because i have no idea

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
In Italina accent..."don't worry about it, they all do that"

Not much use I know :lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Could be the seals around the doors, for the wet in the footwell anyway. I used to have a massive puddle in my pug 306 which was solved by changing the seal. It had been damaged by someone getting into the car

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
If I park mine nose down in heavy rain, I get a wet rear passenger side foot mat. It's the only time it happens. Weird, but I live with it!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check the door seal then :). The water just seems to be in a strange place on the seat :confused: heres a ( really bad) photo i got on my phone

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Nope, don't use a pressure washer on the car. Rinse it off with a watering can :)
Glad to hear it mate:thumbs:

Pressure washers on the paintwork are a no no !!

Has it been windy up your way mate??......wind blowing the rain water in??

I see all kinds of 'very odd' water leaks at work.

You could try dusting talcum powder around the door seal on the passenger side....that'll give you some clues.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its been a little bit windy i suppose. 1st time it happened it had just been raining. This time though it was from when i washed the car (i didn't pull on the seals or move them, didnt have the door open to do the inside of the door shuts either) & i checked inside when i was finished & it was all dry, less than an hour later i went to go out & the water was there. Not windy that time either

M

·
0 Posts
Its been a little bit windy i suppose. 1st time it happened it had just been raining. This time though it was from when i washed the car (i didn't pull on the seals or move them, didnt have the door open to do the inside of the door shuts either) & i checked inside when i was finished & it was all dry, less than an hour later i went to go out & the water was there. Not windy that time either
This is clutching at straws....but have you checked the head lining??
....leaking ariel base??.....running to the front of the car??

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked the headlining and nothing there. Didnt think of the aerial though :thumbs: the only place i can find water is on the seat, a bit damp (maybe) in the footwell & also i just remembered there were a few drops on the centre console by the handbrake on the passenger side when it 1st happened :)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I also once had a bit of water on the car where I had washed it, opened the passenger door and the water went in the car when I closed it.

M

·
0 Posts
Checked the headlining and nothing there. Didnt think of the aerial though :thumbs: the only place i can find water is on the seat, a bit damp (maybe) in the footwell & also i just remembered there were a few drops on the centre console by the handbrake on the passenger side when it 1st happened :)
I reckon it may be a leaky ariel base. The headlining (odd though it may sound, but I've had many experience of water leaks) may not actually feel very damp.
This may sound mad....but going back to my talcum idea.....dust it over the whole of the seat squab. You'll soon be able to tell whether it's 'blowing in' or 'dripping down'.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also once had a bit of water on the car where I had washed it, opened the passenger door and the water went in the car when I closed it.
Im pretty sure it was there before the door was opened this time though, id only opened the boot but i thought (what you are saying) may have been what happened 1st time. I might just chuck a few buckets of water over it again to see if i can make it happen again. The other thing i thought of was, as it was quite cold maybe the seal was 'hard' so didn't squash up against the car properly & left a small gap somewhere?

I'll do the water test over the door and the arial separetly & make sure it only gets water over the 1 i want to try & find the leak :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just been out & chucked a few watering cans of water over the ariel, door & windscreen & i made it leak :D.

Its the windscreen seal, it took 2 full watering cans to make it happen but at least i've found it :thumbs:. It didn't go on the seat, just a steady drip onto the floor mat, but while i was pouring Dad was watching through the window & its coming from roughly a quarter of the width of the windscreen.

The water misses the headlining so thats why that wasn't wet & it looks like the water must build up somehow as it starts dripping faster after a few seconds.

1 other question though, does everyone's windscreen seal look like this? Its passenger side top & bottom :)

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Mine is the same. What you see on the outside is just trim, it's a bonded screen:)

It'll be a screen out job to properly fix the leak though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
as above, its a windscreen out job... im a windscreen fitter and your trim does look a bit 'wonky' so may have had a replacement at some point, check your paperwork for a guarentee as people wont be able to re use your old trim and posssibly even the windscreen so you will be responsible for the replacement parts if needed.....

does your screen have the alfa romeo emblum stamped on it or some other manufacturer?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a pilkington windscreen in there now, nothing in any paperwork ive got about it though. I checked it again earlier with a mate and you can actually move the windscreen if you push it so its a bit loose :lol: just got to get it sorted now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts