Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when i drive off with a cold engine, it knocks a little bit on low revs (below 2200). OK that's a bad valve i thought, or the cam time variator. But the strange thing is that *sometimes* when i have the AC on it doesnt knock wink is'nt that really weird? Sometimes i can hear the knocking on low revs on 1st and 2nd gear but not the others. Hmmm, broken frame layer or other layering?? But then it would knock when i brake and put the pedal to the metal simultaneously as it is more resistance for the engine, right? Very odd knocking sound. Damn it is too noisy in the compartment to record the sound on minidisc or something otherwise i could demonstrate the sound with a MP3.
Ooh, and when i "engine break" the car it makes a little scrapeing/rattling-like sound that might have something to do with the knocking!? But that on the other hand can have something to do with the low level of brake fluid (i know it is REALLY stupid to have little break fluid, fillup coming soon), or the low level of powersteer fluid (again i know it is REALLY stupid to have little powersteer fluid). The scrapeing/rattling-like sound can be either the brake servo och powersteer servo that is dissapointed with the air in the system, right?

I have checked the cams and they are not worn down, all valves seems OK and all the belts are changed 9000 kilometers ago.

Any ideas of what the hell this can be is rewarded with a cyber-hug eek!

/* kalis */

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had something simliar, it was an idler wheel on the way out. Perhaps worth checking.

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Or it could be one of the exhaust heatshields knocking and rattling eek!

The one above my centre box corroded and dropped down and it had a similar noise to what you describe wink Put some bigger washers on the bolts to hold it back up and the noise went :D :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clamp that holds the downpipes in front of the engine is corroded on my car and rattles sometimes. I only hear it when pulling away as after that the car is too noisy. I also hear it when engine braking down to a low speed.
If you sit at idle then rev the engine do you hear it ???? If you can you might be able to find the source.

Marlon

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i rev it from idle i sometimes can hear the rattle but not alwasys. But it's only for maybe 2 seconds or so, it is not a constant sound.

Thanks for all tips, a little bit of lurking this weekend is on the schedule.

Cyberhugs for everybody wink :D
/* kalis */

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can it be the clutch that is knocking? If i stand still with no gear in and the clutch up and rev it the engine sounds smooth. But it i put a gear in and the clutch down and i rev it there is a knocking sound. If i drive off the knocking sound is there at low revs and if i put the clutch down a little bit the knocking increases with the revs. Could it be my clutch that is worn out, or maybe some loose screws???

/* kalis */

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Kalis it might be the release bearing catching against worn fingers on the pressure plate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts