Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This applies to all 147s, 156s and GTs equally. Now the cars are older, it is quite common to experience multiple electrical faults which are due to the deterioration of electrical connections.

Any car with strange faults should firstly have this attended to before looking any further. This is especially true if the car won't start or if it only happens sometime after setting off. The reason is electrical load through a high resistance connection increases temperature which increases electrical resistance and so the downward spiral or plunge begins. The fix is very simple though.

Pay close attention to what is suggested. Look out for oxidation, corrosion or blackening on any parts. Don't forget to check positive wiring to and through maxi fuses.

As per title, the 99 156 TS developed some strange faults. Firstly, the starter motor would not operate. That almost immediately progressed into fluctuating reading on the coolant temperature gauge, non-operation of engine cooling fan and then lack of power, failure to respond to wide throttle openings and failure to rev above 4000rpm. This all happened almost immediately. Finally, the speedo was lost and the ABS light came on.

The fix was simple. I cleaned up battery terminals and posts, cleaned up earth point and terminals on the left front wing near fuse box in front of battery and gearbox earth stud. Similarly, earth points at engine ECU and above thermostat were cleaned thoroughly.

The positive cables to the maxi fuse boxes were given the same treatment. Finally, these parts were sprayed with ACF-50 anti-corrosion spray.

All fixed but surprised I was caught out as I've given advice about just this. What I didn't realise was just how bad the earth connection at the inner wing was.
The conclusion is don't forget about the electrics. These cars are now older so need this maintenance to avoid breakdowns and paying mechanics to scratch their heads and make the sucky sound.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update on this; yes, car is now fixed and as an added bonus, the headlights seem a bit brighter and the wipers seem to sweep with more vigour.

On newer CF3 engines, it is likely any strange recurrent 'low voltage' errors in things like the ABS or airbag should be eradicated.

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Interesting! Might do this. As we see above and have heard/read over the years, our beloved alfas are very suspicious of any variation in the voltage they receive....and spit the dummy out easily due to this.
Seems an easy upgrade for potentially very good benefits
Cheers for this
Tony
You'r welcome.
Does anyone have pics of engine ground wire on alfa GT jtd? Where is located that wire?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts