Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When I start my car (A 53 147 Selespeed), I get the usual clunk of the selespeed gearbox starting up, but I've recently started to notice a really noisy crackling noise that seems to be coming from the right hand side of the engine bay.

The interesting thing is that the noise only lasts for a couple of seconds and only does it when starting from cold.

It does sound like a pretty sick noise, but it doesn't seem to be affecting performance or anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not able to help regarding what the noise is.......
But my 147 (not sele) makes the same noise for a second or two when cold and has been doing so for almost a year.
No idea what it is and it hasnt got worse or apparently caused any problems tho it doesnt sound too clever. Have got mine booked in for service next month and hope to work out what it is then

·
Registered
895 Posts
cranester,

It is probably your starter, it's very common. I think that what happens is that the electric clutch that couples it to the engine has collected some goo and won't let go immediately after you release the key back to the MAR position, so the engine spins the starter motor for a few moments after it has been ignited.

All you need is to have it removed from the car, cleaned and put back. No need to pay for parts, just labour cost.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll check that out... but I'm not entirely sure about that. It doesn't sound like the noise a starter would make. :confused:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I dont know but I think what they are suggesting is that the bendix is sticking I personally dont think it is this but I am by no means a expert and its not really a crackerly sound. You haven't so a bowl of Rice Krispies for a engine have you?:lol:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cranester,

It is probably your starter, it's very common. I think that what happens is that the electric clutch that couples it to the engine has collected some goo and won't let go immediately after you release the key back to the MAR position, so the engine spins the starter motor for a few moments after it has been ignited.

All you need is to have it removed from the car, cleaned and put back. No need to pay for parts, just labour cost.
Top notch mate... turns out you were right. My missus' dad is a mechanic and suggested that just by hearing the engine noise.

Thanks mate, and so glad it's nothing major!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts