Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 156 1.8l

Everytime i start the alfa, after about 2 seconds there is a clicking noise from the engine bay. This only happens then and not again (until its turned off - restarted).

Started it today and stuck my head under the bonnet - sounds relayish but louder, so i'm thinking something mechanical - Its just one 'click' then no more.

The car has done this on every start since i bought it 10k miles ago, and has never given me problems.

Anyone else have ideas what it may be, or get this yourself?

Cheers

S

·
0 Posts
I get it as well. Others will probably correct me but I think It is the climate control/aircon system kicking in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The car does a self test on start up, I'm not sure exactly what is involved with the tests but mine clicked as well - maybe we should find out !

You could get someone else to do the start up and listen with your head in the engine bay for where the clicking is coming from in case it's something else !

Watch out for the alarm - it gives you a fright !

cheers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never thought about the aircon, i have it permanently in the 'on'. I'll turn it off and start her up in the morning, see what happens and report back ;) Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder if it could be the variator. Apparently the variator is the unit that adjusts the timing at start up. If you took the car to an Alfa dealer I am sure they would have a quick listen and advise.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
~Does yours have the fly by wire throttle? Because I know the electronic throttle body on my v6 makes a few quiet clicking type noises within the first 20-30 seconds of starting up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 147 JTD16v clicks at me as well when I start up. I was under the impression it was to do with the Climate Control, as it has always come from there. To be honest, since I stopped worrying, I don't notice it anymore.

Cheers

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
It is usually the A/C compressor on mine too.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I'm also of the belief that this is the AC and if I remember correctly there is a reference to it in the 147 manual. Perhaps it mentions it in the 156 book too?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts