Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm determined to buy a 159 soon but would like to get exactly the right one, seeing as this is my first Alfa and the most I will have ever spent on a car. I've been looking over the last four or five months for a 1.9 JTDM, Auto, Black, Tan leather for under £19k. A combination that seams impossible to find. Lot's of Silver with black leather ones for that money but not in the colour I want.

So now I'm wondering whether to give up on the auto. Looking on autotrader now and there are three 3.2 V6's in black/tan going for that price.

So should I say "stuff the fuel costs" and buy a V6 manual or tell myself not to be so fussy on the colour and get used to Silver?

·
Registered
237 Posts
well once again if you can affoard it, go with the bugger the fuel and go with the 3.2 v6 in the colour you want and the leather you want coz at the end of the day, you need to look at it every day but you also have to look at your wallet every day!

·
Registered
305 Posts
You do need to think long and hard about this. The 3.2 is certainly good fun and sounds fantatsic but the fuel economy is absolutely dire for a modern day engine - you'll regularly see 19mpg if you drive it enthusiastically and you will almost certainly never average over 23-25.

There is also a potential hike in running costs - insurance will be significantly higher, tyre cost will be higher (plus you are advised to change all 4 tyres at once owing to the 4WD), the 4wd system is complex and expensive to fix although you may have some warranty I guess.

Am not in any way trying to put you off but I think a 3.2 V6 vs a 1.9JTDM is a very different ownership proposition.
I agree totally with RSK, Fuel prices will ultimatly only go north and whilst the car is undoubtedly awesome there will be a bigger cost to running it.

Also consider the residual value, why is it that you can get so much car for so little..? Prob because thirsty High Co2 (higher roadtax) cars are dropping faster than a ho*es draws...:lol:

We'd all like uber big engined cars, and to be honest If I could afford it, I'd have one... but long term its a big risk especially if you are buying and not leasing. :(

much thought and number crunching needed

·
Registered
919 Posts
Surely a 2.4JTDm can be had at that price? BTW black with tan leather is an ace combo and not worth swapping for the sake of an engine imo.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Western in Edinburgh are showing a 2.4 (albeit manual) with Black/Tan for £15,995.

Can your local dealer not help with a search ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, thanks for your comments. I know you're right about the V6 and the longer term costs. It's just the purchase price is so tempting. I'll keep up my search for exactly the right one.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Be sure to drive both before making your mind up. The 3.2 Q4 V6 is a cracking drive. See if you can make it unstick :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Western in Edinburgh are showing a 2.4 (albeit manual) with Black/Tan for £15,995.

Can your local dealer not help with a search ?
That's where my yen for an auto comes in. Should I give up on the auto box or give on the black/tan leather combo?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Neither - find a friendly dealer and get them to earn their money. They have access to more cars than are shown on the ARUK site.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very tricky buying 2nd hand, you get hold of some shiny brochures from a dealer and decide what you want and then try to find one.. almost impossible!

For example, I am lookin for a grey 2.4 Qtronic Lusso with 18" wheels and blue and me 2007, hardly any around though.. only 4 Qtronics on Autotrader.

May wait until end of year for more to filter through, it's not as if 2nd hand car prices are going to improve..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine is a 1.9 JTDm with Q-tronic (not for sale!) and I'd say it's well worth hanging on for the auto box. It's ultra-smooth and suits the JTDm engines perfectly. I'm averaging 37-39mpg out of mine too, with just 7k on the clock, should improve with more miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts