Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Any thoughts on this issue that has happened within the last 4 weeks.

My GT generally had what I would call decent brakes (much better than my 156 that had the 'will they work' feel about them).

1) Left car parked up for 2 weeks whilst I went on holiday.
2) Upon return brakes felt very spongy, thought it was because I had been driving a rental car whilst on hols and just different feel.
3) Car passes MOT.
4) Brakes continue to feel spongy and seem to be getting worse with time.
5) Starting to think that the brakes are going to fail !

I will make a proper investigation but any thoughts on the change in performance coupled with the fact that the car passed its MOT during this time period (therefore brakes should be safe).

How about glazed pads ? I cant think of anything else other than leaks and no evidence of those.

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've just had the same problem with my little borthers Lotus elise, It's been parked up for 3 weeks as he's been in hospital. It was sunny the last couple of days so I asked to borrow it, took it out and it felt like there weren't any brakes at all.

Found a nice quiet stretch of road and slammed on the brakes as hard as I could a couple of times. This got rid of the problem completely. Seems a film had built up over the discs and pads while it had been left under covers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suspect a sticking piston; maybe not enough to fail the MoT but enough to notice?
What is the recommended method to determine which piston is sticking ? Observe each caliper whilst pressing the brake ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had when I picked up my GT after flying back from my holidays. Brakes felt spongy on the motorway but once I went through a few stops and roundabouts with harsh braking it went back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts