Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a teaser for AO's technical experts...

A few days ago, whilst driving along minding my own business, my 166's dash started reporting that the boot was open. I checked. Shut tight. :confused:

Now when locking the car (on the plipper), I get the long indicator flash and long tone - as usual - with a further, slightly quieter beep around 5-10 seconds later. I'm assuming that's some sort of an error tone.

So, thinks I, the boot open/close sensor isn't working. Well, not quite. With the boot open, the dashboard reports the boot as being shut. I kid you not. :lol:

This is a 100% replicatable problem, which I repeated a few times, just to make sure I wasn't going mad. Boot shut - dash lights up. Boot open - dash lights go quiet.

Just to make sure it wasn't a wider problem (I had visions of a fried ECU :eek:), I opened and closed all the doors. Not a problem. Both interior and dash lights behaved correctly.

It's just the boot that thinks it's open when it's shut, and shut when it's open. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any ideas? I'm completely stumped. :confused:

PS: In case anyone suggests it, I already performed a full ECU reset, just to be sure. :cool:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
loom issue? All your lights working?
Aye, could be the loom playing up due a short or cable snap. I lost remote boot opening and drivers side rear fog-light - traced down to 2 broken cables in the loom at the point where leaves the body of the car and runs into the boot.

P.S. It didn't show up on a diagnostic.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aye, could be the loom playing up due a short or cable snap. I lost remote boot opening and drivers side rear fog-light - traced down to 2 broken cables in the loom at the point where leaves the body of the car and runs into the boot.

P.S. It didn't show up on a diagnostic.
Loom issue? Oh goody. :(

I was thinking about nipping up to Autolusso, pulling a boot lock mechanism out of an old 166 and offering them some hard cold currency for it. :lol:

Or I might just live with it. :cheese:

In all seriousness, if someone has had this problem before and it WASN'T a fault with the wiring loom (I'm really not going there, people), I'm all ears.

PS: All other electircal/electronic functions of the vehicle (lights, ICS, etc.) work exactly as they should. It's just the boot lock thing. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,674 Posts
Remove the boot liner and check the white connectors for corrosion, the switch for the boot open clips around the lock, so is it in the right position or remove it and check if the switch works.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remove the boot liner and check the white connectors for corrosion, the switch for the boot open clips around the lock, so is it in the right position or remove it and check if the switch works.
Cheers Paul, I'll give that a go. :thumbs:

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,674 Posts
Thinking about it the microswitch around the lock is the key lock 'unlock' signal and the microswitch on the lock assembly is the one that is the boot open signal...

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
will probably be the wee switch - my old red twink had a wonky boot indicator light but more intermitant so i just left it be :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would say loom also, mine was playing up, took it apart Tuesday to find about 6 of the wires broken, repaired now all Ok again :)

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I looked at doing that, but to me it looked as if the loom would then get trapped in the rim around the boot. As it is it closes into the recess in the corner on the outside of the boot rim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts