Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any problems that i could have by having a straight pipe on my 2.4 jtdm 159? such as computer problems? back pressure? fumes? anything else?
is there anything i will have to do such as remapping or reprogramming computer?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I am guessing you mean doing away with the rear boxes. They can go and very little happens except you get a slightly louder and nicer sounding car, if on the other hand you mean all the way then things change, you will need to have the DPF mapped out.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you go from the dpf to the rear tails as a straight through system, let me know how bearable the noise is from the interior?
I've just had mine done but fitted smaller back boxes as I didn't want the exhaust noise to be too intrusive, I wish I had tried first without rear boxes?
Easy fix to have them removed if the noise is not "Boy racer" type!! I enjoy listening to my music without a constant exhaust rumble. :ponder:

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I'm straight through from DPF back, not obtrusive at all under normal driving conditions, with a deep growl and turbo roar under acceleration. No cabin whine at all, although it was an expensive fabrication by Profusion.

ps...I'll be able to tell you if it changes next week, after the hybrid goes on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There are various levels of streight piping the car.
Level 1: No back box. It's an easy mod, and wizard makes a well made set for it.
Level 2: Lv1 + Down pipe change. This removes the first catalyst and allows the turbo to spool up faster. A bit more sound will be made as well.
Level 3: Lv2 + DPF remove/decore. This will make the most sound on the car, and free up some more power as well. BUT you will have to remove the cleaning cycle from the ECU, and you might need a new exhaust temp sensor (they normally malfunction afterwards).

Level 1, is quiet. And give a liveable sound. Lv2 gives a little bit more and if you arent sensitive or drives very long jurneys often. This would be fine for most.
LV3. Sound is always present, but it is liveable. If you have to travel far. You ither end up driving around 90-100 because this is just before the turbo changes the vanes (and the sound level) or you just live with the noice using earplugs or loud music. But above 150 wind and tyre noise is the worst. So it isn't really that bad.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have heard that it's not advisable to remove the first cat without removing the DPF first as it causes issues with how the DPF regens??

·
Registered
AR159 SW 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Ti
34 Posts
I know it is a bit older topic, but can someone tell me if pipe diameter change is good or shall one stay with standard diameter that already exists?
Planing to straight pipe up to rear mufflers...

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I went straight thru on my 2.0...no rear silencers (the 2.0 and 2.4 dont have a centre box...just the rear(s)). It was no louder after Id gone straight thru than it was before....absolutely no difference!!! Proving that the DPF does most of the work when it comes to silencing...so unless you are going to remove that (dont!) dont expect much change in volume or tone.

·
Registered
AR159 SW 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Ti
34 Posts
I went straight thru on my 2.0...no rear silencers (the 2.0 and 2.4 dont have a centre box...just the rear(s)). It was no louder after Id gone straight thru than it was before....absolutely no difference!!! Proving that the DPF does most of the work when it comes to silencing...so unless you are going to remove that (dont!) dont expect much change in volume or tone.
I had a turbo problem, and it blow, so my whole piping up until after dpf is full of oil, and I have really hard time cleaning it (burning with driving). Got new turbo, but thinking of removing what is left in system by swapping with pipes. BTW DPF is removed just casing is left, and EGR is closed. Only thing that I am thinking is to replace Cat after turbo, just to keep it as clean as possible. ECU doesn't make any problems since it is already removed with remap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts