Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Administrator
86,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Sky got very dark & there was a heavy hailstone shower here about midday followed by thunder & lightening, lights flickered a couple times but that was all. Fairly wild & windy again now with showers.

·
Administrator
86,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Storm Denis warnings issued this morning nationwide ⚠

Warnings - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Very squally Southerly winds veering Southwesterly with mean speeds 50 to 65 km/hr gusts to around 100 km/hr, strongest on exposed coasts and hills. Winds moderating from the Northwest later.
Valid: 03:00 Saturday 15/02/2020 to 20:00 Saturday 15/02/2020
Issued: 11:00 Friday 14/02/2020

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Ireland

Spells of heavy, locally thundery rain, on Saturday will lead to some flooding.
Valid: 06:00 Saturday 15/02/2020 to 21:00 Saturday 15/02/2020
Issued: 11:00 Friday 14/02/2020

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I should be landing at Heathrow as it sweeps across England this afternoon.

Its gonna be bumpy. So look out on the news fora Qatar Airways plane coming in sideways or even aborting. The news channels love a bit of You Tube footage of a dodgy landing:sick:

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Storm naming procedure is alternating male/female names progressing chronologically in alphabetical order,
last week Ciara, so this one had to be male name beginning with D.
And they go for Dennis.
Bigly disappointed that it wasn't Daniel. Very great blow. (allegedly)

(maybe they're waiting for Y so we can have Ydaniels?)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Storm naming procedure is alternating male/female names progressing chronologically in alphabetical order,
last week Ciara, so this one had to be male name beginning with D.
And they go for Dennis.
Bigly disappointed that it wasn't Daniel. Very great blow. (allegedly)

(maybe they're waiting for Y so we can have Ydaniels?)
Yep....my son Danny was not impressed....but then again he has more chance of getting a mention.....Ronan has no chance....they don't continue on in the ALFAbet.....they go back to A for the next year.....don't think we will have 18 named storms in any one year......gutted :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
86,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Storm Denis warnings updated ⚠

Warnings - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

Status Orange - Wind warning for Wexford and Waterford

South to southwest winds with mean speeds of 55 to 75 km/h will gust up to 120 km/h, strongest on exposed coasts and hills.
Valid: 09:00 Saturday 15/02/2020 to 20:00 Saturday 15/02/2020
Issued: 09:00 Saturday 15/02/2020

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Southwest winds with mean speeds of 60 to 80 km/h with severe gusts of up to 120km/h, strongest on exposed hills and coasts, with a risk of coastal flooding.
Valid: 10:00 Sunday 16/02/2020 to 22:00 Sunday 16/02/2020
Issued: 13:30 Saturday 15/02/2020

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Yep....my son Danny was not impressed....but then again he has more chance of getting a mention.....Ronan has no chance....they don't continue on in the ALFAbet.....they go back to A for the next year.....don't think we will have 18 named storms in any one year......gutted :rolleyes:
List of next storm names....

• Dennis
  • Ellen
  • Francis
  • Gerda
  • Hugh
  • Iris
  • Jan
  • Kitty
  • Liam
  • Maura
  • Noah
  • Olivia
  • Piet
  • Róisín
  • Samir
  • Tara
  • Vince
  • Willow

·
Vendor
45,311 Posts
Here we go again.....heart goes out to all those flood risk areas.
Our yard was underwater last weekend in storm Ciara. Didn't get as far as the workshop though, although it was close. Going to be a sleepless night tonight.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Motorway driving in high winds can be frightening, but I did 100 miles on the M25 today without blowing off.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Not too bad locally or en route to the ‘rents at 8.30 this morning. The sky was menacing, quite gusty outside but nothing too problematic. Little 190 felt ok. But with an eye on the weather getting worse (lashing it down there), I left my folks’ before lunch (pretty much a crime to do this), and drove for an hour or so in increasingly wet and windy weather to get home. Wind n rain now picking up even more. We’ll see what happens.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Got the train to London booked tomorrow. Hope there's no more trampolines blocking the lines.

·
Vendor
45,311 Posts
Did your luck hold?
I had my phone alarm wake me up every 90 minutes so I could check the river levels on the environment agency's site. Dennis wasn't as bad as Ciara in the end, highest it got to was about a foot below our yard.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I was listening to the radio news the other morning and they were interviewing a few local people in the Wye river area about the floods.

One of the guys who was being interviewed was a farmer who owned a stretch of land along the river which had been flooded and the presenter asked how many times it had flooded in the past.

Well, he said, we had regular floods in the 1960s and 1970s - but then there was a lot of work done but now we've been flooded every year since 2010 and the last 5 years have seen us have the worst flooding ever.

"Climate Change?" asked the presenter.

To which the farmer replied that actually after the floods of the 1970s there was active river management from the local authority and waterways association right through the 1980s and 1990s and into the early 2000s when dredging was done, riverbanks were repaired and fallen trees and landslides were cleared up as they happened. This all stopped sometime around 2010 and since then they've had issues.

It sort of got glossed over in the ensuing discussion - but I found that frustrating because we always assume that the rainfall is extraordinary in it's intensity and duration (ie rain now falls much more heavily and in shorter time periods) - but I wonder if that is actually the case and/or if our waterways management has been a contributor to the flooding?

Note - I am most definitely NOT a climate change sceptic in any way. I know that hotter weather is a matter of record and plays a role in this flooding cycle too - but I would be fascinated to see if there is a correlation with the loss of management of the waterways by cash strapped local authorities in the past 10-12 years and the flooding cycle in these very vulnerable towns/cities.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts