Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted anything, but It'll make me feel better if I tell the story of the over zealous North Yorkshire plod.
Now I know I break speed limits occasionally, and if I was stupid enough to get caught I could accept being pulled over.
But, while out for a quick spin down to North Yorkshire, I did nothing more than overtake someone on a dual carriage way. I was doing seventy, they were doing less. As we entered the 40 zone I slowed to 40. Yet the policeman on his bike pulled out, followed me for about a mile and decided to flash his pretty lights. I, of course, pulled over, stopped the engine and waited....
My wife was in the passenger seat, she waited as well....
I got out and had a chat with the policey man, well, I say a chat, it was more like a lecture on the moral responsibility given to me when I got my driving license. He went on about micro-climates in the road creating icy patches, he told me I wouldn't make it to my destination if I continued driving the way I was..
My wife was still waiting....
He continued to tell me about all the people who drive tin boxes these days and don't use public transport, about the reason for speed limits,
My wife was still waiting...
In fact my wife waited for 35 minutes while I endured his sarcastic comments and bit my tongue, not wanting to rise to his provocations.
In the end he let me go.
Thankyou for that mr policeman, keep up the good work.....

W

·
0 Posts
:rolleyes:

Think I would have asked what offence I had committed and what he was going to charge me with.

I suppose, given todays driving conditions, he could have charged you with driving without due care and attention...at a push!

wrinx

·
Registered
141 Posts
the problem with the BiB is that you have to be humble. You have to apologise for whatever you think he may think you have done.They are right and they are the law. In his head, you should have been driving at 10mph. If he says thats as fast as the road conditions would allow, then you were breaking the law. After all he is the 'professional driver' and considered to be an 'expert witness'.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hmm :rolleyes: Unless there is a temporary limit on lit signs on the road, then you're entitled to go at the speed limit unless you are not maintaining control of the vehicle.

Regardless of his "professional opinion", he either needs (1) video evidence to show that you were not maintaining full control, or (2) another police officer's opinion.

Other than that, you would be fine.

If it was me, I would have asked his reason as soon as he pulled me over. You're entitled to know.

Rab

E

·
0 Posts
What a knob, it is idiots like that that give cops a bad name.

I lost my cool once with a copper that stopped me. I was coming home from swimming one evening and there was a load of them doing random stops in a lay by. I wouldn't have normally but at the time we had about 30 pikey caravans in the field out the back of my 97 year Nans house, and we all work so it wasn't pleasant knowing she was there alone. I asked them why they thought it was a good use of time stopping a lone bloke in a Punto coming back from swimming when my Nan was having to witness people dropping their trousers and crapping outside her back gate.

The answer... 'I don't know about that, i have just come on shift'

So I phoned them the next day and shouted at someone higher up, who was also as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

·
Registered
895 Posts
A fellow alfista got pulled over for spinning the wheels of his GTV 2.0V6TB, modified to 300HP (passed MOT). He wasn't speeding but he was not very careful with the clutch at a traffic light and the wheels squeaked. The cop gave him a ticket for €250, 10 points (!!!) for reckless driving and confiscated his license and number plates for a month. Even charged him with street-racing (thus the confiscation of license & plates) no matter that there was no other car on the street but him and the patrol car. :eek:

After some negotiations with the cop's CO he managed to salvage the 10 points and two weeks off the time without license and plates. It turns out that there is a newly setup police station in that area that is in bad need of funds. :rant:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I got stopped once, it was in 1997 I think, on my pushbike (OK I admit i'd had a few jars :) ) and the copper said:

''Its people like you who caused the death of Princess Diana''

Random or what?

B

·
0 Posts
:lol: Our brave bobbies are after the junior speed devils too,by all accounts.

:rolleyes: One of our drivers twelve y/o son was recently brought home by two policemen and one of those "community support" wierdos for the heinous crime of skateboarding along the seafront at Gosport.

:eek: They then had the cheek to have a go at him after he told them (VERY impolitely!) to vacate his property and do some proper police work.

..Both times I've been stopped by the law they were fine though,even the bloke who done me for an SP30 managed to be quite humourous about it...........You obviously get good n'useless types in all jobs,though with the training and set standards the police supposedly operate in you'd expect a bit more consistency perhaps :confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Just be happy you've not
been stopped in the US.

Hint: Don't move, hands on the steering wheel
(or dash if passenger) Look forward and only
speak when spoken to.

Otherwise you will be looking down the barrel
of the cop's handgun.

:)

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Owelly said:
They are right and they are the law
I have a lot of respect for police officers. But they are NOT the law. They are the keeper of the peace.

Laws are made by politicians (yep, great bit problem right there), applied by the judiciary and upheld by the police.

alfasud.ti said:
It turns out that there is a newly setup police station in that area that is in bad need of funds.
And that's the crux of the problem. :(

Nev said:
Just be happy you've not been stopped in the US.
Completely agreed.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
hmm :rolleyes: Unless there is a temporary limit on lit signs on the road, then you're entitled to go at the speed limit unless you are not maintaining control of the vehicle.

Regardless of his "professional opinion", he either needs (1) video evidence to show that you were not maintaining full control, or (2) another police officer's opinion.

Other than that, you would be fine.

If it was me, I would have asked his reason as soon as he pulled me over. You're entitled to know.

Rab
A police officer can pull you over at any time under the Road Traffic Act to check you have the correct documents, and If he/she chooses to do so, and administer a verbal warning for any traffic offence he may have observed you commit. If you don't want to accept that warning that's up to you you can have a ticket or your day in Court.

My experience is that when stopped unless the matter is serious you will be let off with a warning providing you are polite.

Common sense tells you that at times when the Govt are harping on about speed, or using your phone in your car, or seat belt safety, this is exactly the sort of thing you are likely to get reported for because like all Govt agencies the Police are driven by current legislation, so if you dont like the law campaign against it.

Me, I'm glad they are out there. My wife was involved in an accident on the way to work where she was T boned at a set of lights by an idiot without insurance who the proceeded to threaten her with an iron bar so that he could get away before the old bill arrived.

There are lots of these idiots out there so I'm happy if it means a little inconvenience now and then.:tut:

·
Administrator
60,442 Posts
there's good and bad people in every profession. I'm glad the police are out there to keep the peace even though some of them take their job a bit too seriously and threaten law abiding people. Remain polite at all times, it's better for you and they can rant till they feel better. inconvenient at times but worth it in a democracy.

H

·
0 Posts
It sounds like his friends have deserted him (cant think why), he's just lonely and wanted a chat........you should have give him a hug, that will always make things better.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
there's good and bad people in every profession. I'm glad the police are out there to keep the peace even though some of them take their job a bit too seriously and threaten law abiding people. Remain polite at all times, it's better for you and they can rant till they feel better. inconvenient at times but worth it in a democracy.
Well said CG.... I've always used that approach world-wide, and it tends to work every time :)

·
Administrator
60,442 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
no mate but lets just say its, never boring in the car :mad: dont do that dont do this, they love telling other people what to do:rant: you sould see the way her and her fellow officers drive:mad: :rant: :rant: bloody to faced gits:rant: :rant:

M

·
0 Posts
I have a lot of respect for police officers. But they are NOT the law. They are the keeper of the peace.

Completely agreed BF, but they ARE the sole judge of fact and law at the time of the incident (like a referee in Rugby Union). It is the abuse and arbitrary application of this that rankles so much when it happens. The sarcasm used by the police is calculated to wind people up without being overtly insulting and this just adds to the irritation.

On the other hand, their presence is reassuring in many other situations and as they are only human like the rest of us (and we never know what kind of day they have had), the prudent course of action is IMO to bite one's lip, behave with humility and let them get these things off their chests.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts