Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me, or are the spider brakes a little useless in stopping you when the occassion arises?
My discs & pads have plenty on them, but they just do not seem to as effective as I would have expected from a reasonably quick car.
A bit like MK1 Golf GTi brakes...plenty under the bonnet, not alot at the wheels.
Is there an upgrade? ta.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Mines running on standard disks, and pads. Never have any problems stopping, even in a hurry.
When was the last time your brake fluid was changed..?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I love the feel of my brakes - however there is often a tangible delay on harder braking if it is very wet and you are on the motorway, because there aren't any dirt shields so the disks get soaked

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I got my car nearly 2 years ago I was distinctly unimpressed with the brakes and it had always been serviced at an Alfa main dealer so presumably genuine Alfa pads if they had been changed. Fitted Ferodo Performance pads and new plain front disks and the brakes became very good indeed, only problem was some low speed squealing which was embarrassing around town, not squealing at present but I think that may be due to the current low winter temperatures. Next change I will switch to Brembo Sport pads Brembo Brakes - Pads which they claim to be low noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We recently had our local garage strip and clean the calipers, didn't cost much, got the brakes back up to scratch.
If you do't use the brakes much, crud and corrosion can stick one or more pistons.
New fluid is good too, but won't normally change how the brakes feel cold.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,391 Posts
We recently had our local garage strip and clean the calipers, didn't cost much, got the brakes back up to scratch.
:thumbs: I do this every year and it does make a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
New fluid is good too, but won't normally change how the brakes feel cold.
It will if the fluid has absorbed moisture, which is often the case.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Chaps, we need to bear in mind, if you overcome poor breaking performance by fitting upgraded parts, you are only masking the problem.

OE brakes in good working condition are very good. If yours are not, best to solve the problems before thinking of upgrades.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Chaps, we need to bear in mind, if you overcome poor breaking performance by fitting upgraded parts, you are only masking the problem.

OE brakes in good working condition are very good. If yours are not, best to solve the problems before thinking of upgrades.
+1......we agree again, I've even got a 156(facelift) JTD Sportwagon as well!:)

Clive

·
Registered
919 Posts
My fluid needs changing and is on the "to do" list. I know this because as Mitch says, it has absorbed moisture. When I brake I initially get a hard bite of deceleration, as I press harder the braking effort does not respond. That's because at the massive pressures in the brake lines the water boils and becomes gaseous (steam) even when cold. On the initial brake push the fluid compresses giving a good bite, as the pressure increases gas bubbles form and then you are trying to use a compressible fluid to apply pressure to the pistons. Science lesson over kids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts