Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
The French are always doing this sort of thing.... I'm sure they used to have,
and may still have, a government department that looks after their language.

I remember they banned 'le weekend' and various other phrases...

Needless to say the population, being French, took absolutely no notice.

Hardly newsworthy I quite agree :)

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Agreed that it's not particularly newsworthy, but I do have some sympathy with the sentiment.

I have spent years correcting people that I am not a 'Miss', but a 'Ms' (although now I'm a 'Mrs' I don't have to bother:lol:). The title 'Miss' has so many connotations surrounding it, and can be, and has been on many occasions, used in a very condescending way in order to belittle and embarrass. I'm guessing it's the same in France, which, if I remember correctly, is an even worse society for sexism and misogyny.

If they want to get rid of it, good on them:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Now this I do not understand!?!

Surely if you really believed in what you are saying then you would still wish to be referred to a Ms?

:)
No.

'Miss' has the connotations of a young, unworldly girl - not great for gaining respect in the workplace or anywhere else come to mention it. As a thirty-something mother, I feel I deserved a little more recognition than that - if you had spent years having people look down their noses at you and putting a sneering emphasis on the word, as many do, you'd probably be more likely to understand. 'Mrs' is fine - I am married now, and proud to be so.

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
Ahh the French :rolleyes: linguistic imperialists :eek:

Can't they see their language is in retreat and they should start speaking English immediately :lol:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I have spent years correcting people that I am not a 'Miss', but a 'Ms'
I'm the other way around. I'm a 'Miss' and if people in the workplace want to misjudge me and assume that I am going to be a naive, young girl with no teeth then more fool them.
Though, I prefer to not use titles at all. I have a name, use it.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm the other way around. I'm a 'Miss' and if people in the workplace want to misjudge me and assume that I am going to be a naive, young girl with no teeth then more fool them.
Though, I prefer to not use titles at all. I have a name, use it.
I can't say I've ever come across anyone who makes assumptions along those lines on the basis of being a Miss so you're probably safe.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I can't say I've ever come across anyone who makes assumptions along those lines on the basis of being a Miss so you're probably safe.
A bit of a cheeky "well you wouldn't, would you?" comes to mind;)

:lol:

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
No.

'Miss' has the connotations of a young, unworldly girl - not great for gaining respect in the workplace or anywhere else come to mention it. As a thirty-something mother, I feel I deserved a little more recognition than that - if you had spent years having people look down their noses at you and putting a sneering emphasis on the word, as many do, you'd probably be more likely to understand. 'Mrs' is fine - I am married now, and proud to be so.
I am only playing devil's advocate but I don't see how this can only play one way :confused:. Surely "Mrs" has connotations in the same way that you perceive Miss does, especially in the context of "The Mrs". From the point of view of those unmarried ladies you have left behind you still want them labelled by the 'sneering' title of Miss or Ms, whereas those who are married should still be labelled differently.

Truly women are an enigma, married or otherwise ;)

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
What happens to these? :eek:

Firstmatepiggy.jpg

LTML.jpg

Let alone the Miss world competition...

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I am only playing devil's advocate but I don't see how this can only play one way :confused:. Surely "Mrs" has connotations in the same way that you perceive Miss does, especially in the context of "The Mrs". From the point of view of those unmarried ladies you have left behind you still want them labelled by the 'sneering' title of Miss or Ms, whereas those who are married should still be labelled differently.

Truly women are an enigma, married or otherwise ;)
Well for one thing, in the unlikely event of VD ever calling me 'The Mrs', I'd lamp him one;)

Also, I never said Ms was sneered at, just Miss. I have been in a situation at work where a more responsible role was on offer. My boss' boss (who was a complete tool) didn't like me, and spent the whole meeting referring to me as 'Miss E...', with the emphasis on the Miss part. He was trying to discredit me and imply my lack of experience/worldliness for the role. I didn't get it, someone else (male) with similar experience to me did.

Now I'm not saying that it was totally the fault of the title 'Miss' here - the guy was a sexist p***k - but he used it as a tool to put me down. And don't even get me started on how people look at you when you introduce yourself as 'Miss' and you have a child/children:rolleyes:

'Miss' is also quite assumptive, if you don't know the person. It assumes, based on her age, that you can guess a woman's marital status. You usually can't, and can offend, so 'Ms' is safer;)

'Mrs' has fewer connotations because we are past the time when a woman was her husbands' property, no-one believes that any more (again, through years of fighting and legislation) so we are back to it being a nice thing. I married my husband because I wanted to, and because I was proud to do so.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I do feel this is your subjective interpretation of how people preceive these words
Do you? I'm just basing it on life experience, things that have happened to me. It's nowhere near as important to me as perhaps I'm making out on here, but I was trying to explain, and it is a little irksome when people say something doesn't exist simply because they haven't experienced it.

Anyway, fortunately I am not French and am no longer a Miss or a Ms, so it doesn't apply to me anymore:lol: But if women want to choose their own titles (Miss or Ms, whichever - both derived from 'Mistress' anyway, but one less 'loaded', iykwim), then they should be able to without being castigated or laughed at:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Keithy - I can't reply to your IM (too tight to pay for membership:p)

No I didn't think that you were castigating or laughing at me - I meant that women should be able to choose their own titles without that happening, and if they wanted to ban a title which made them feel that way, they should be able to.

It was nice of you to check though:)

Mrs VD;)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
It never ceases to amuse me that people don't realise exactly what they have bitten off when trying to debate with my wife :lol:

'The Mrs' is one of the most derogatory titles ever given to a woman.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts