Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been covered on a previous thread. Can I permanently disengage the stop:start on my new (61plate) 105bhp. I "patiently" have to press the same button every time I start the car. Any advice? many thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's just something I feel that gets in the way and rather irritating. Is it going to reduce the life of the battery and/or starter motor over time?
I think the battery and starter motor are uprated to cope with stop-start operation.

Personally, I find it unobtrusive and effective when it is working, which is rarely...

One useful benefit is that on the odd occasion I stall the engine (not too difficult
with a diesel of just 1248cc) it will automatically restart on depressing the clutch!

Chris

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's just something I feel that gets in the way and rather irritating. Is it going to reduce the life of the battery and/or starter motor over time?
I had this convo with one of the AOers at Hopetoun House last year. If I remember right start/stop doesnt use the starter motor to fire the engine up.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How often do you put the car in neutral and lift your foot off the clutch? Why wouldn't you want the car to stop in those circumstances? To me it seems so easy to control and normally it is me that forgets to do the neutral + clutch off thing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Only had my car a week but it's been flawless. The only time it becomes unvailable is when I reverse onto the drive. Which seems very sensible!

·
Registered
573 Posts
From a fuel saving perspective it is pretty pointless, Burr there are two things it does do:

- reduce the cars carbon emissions figures per km

- more importantly I think, it is the cumulative effect that start stop has on fuel consumption and the environment. On one or two cars it makes little difference that the engine isn't running for a short time, but should eventually all or most cars have the feature, it would drastically reduce city and town CO2 levels. Imagine if at every red light all engines stopped.

Starting to sound a bit John Lennon...oh dear

·
Registered
310 Posts
I dont think mine has it (but i say that about everything i see on here haha). I dont take my foot off the clutch very much to know!

M

·
0 Posts
Maybe. When I stop the car, it'll kick in then if i open the door it'll say "stop/start unavailable" so you have to turn it off then turn it back on.
Mine has done the same. I had just come back from drying the brakes off after just washing it. Pulled onto the drive, S/S kicked in when I stopped, opened the door to get out and do something. Got back in, pressed the clutch and nothing. I had to turn the car off and then restart it. Maybe it does it on safety grounds as it thinks that no one is inside it?

I don't mind the stop/start system but sometimes it says its unavailable or like one day last week it kicked in and about two seconds later the Mito restarted itself! It just made me think, why bother stopping in the first place?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine has done the same. I had just come back from drying the brakes off after just washing it. Pulled onto the drive, S/S kicked in when I stopped, opened the door to get out and do something. Got back in, pressed the clutch and nothing. I had to turn the car off and then restart it. Maybe it does it on safety grounds as it thinks that no one is inside it?

I don't mind the stop/start system but sometimes it says its unavailable or like one day last week it kicked in and about two seconds later the Mito restarted itself! It just made me think, why bother stopping in the first place?:rolleyes:
The Mito owner's manual describes the action of the Stop/Start system and most
of its quirks, you might benefit by reading the appropriate section...

Due to the infrequent use of my car, and the current low temperatures, my Stop/Start
hasn't worked for ages!

Chris

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just went and tested this and im pretty sure mine doesnt have it lol
AFAIK it's only on post-2009 Euro 5 compliant Mitos. As its benefits seem to be mainly
for the manufacturer to help achieve a low emissions figure in the homologation tests,
don't worry about not having it ;) Less to go wrong too :D

Chris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts