1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A

·
0 Posts
At least with the BMW system used at least since 2007, when you are in standstill and the a/c is on, the engine will automatically start if the cabin temperature rises above a certain level. A very simple and efficient system that saves a looooooot of fuel. Of course you have the option to switch it OFF.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The A/C compressor stops, as the engine is not running to turn the compressor. The A/C fan, inside the cabin still works. Haven't waited (either in the Alfa or a Merc) for the temperature to rise to see if the engine will start by itself though.

Will have to ask.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Not something I would ever find useful, unless you drive all day in the center of Nicosia stuck in traffic.

I think this feature was designed for cities like London, where there are millions of people and motorists in rush hours.
Was watching a documentary on Discovery last night, said that in Manhattan, during rush hour, you need more than 1 hour to pass through 3 blocks ! A start and stop system there would be efficient!

In Nicosia however, worst case senario in rush hour, is that you need 50 mins to go from Strovolos to Kaimakli, and thats a good distance to cover.

Dont worry though ! Everything will be fixed now with the new buses ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Why? does the new TCT Gullietta has this system?

Personally I had my experience with this system when I went to Athens for a week and rented a BMW316.
I found it a bit annoying to be honest.
I couldn't used to a car that was starting and stoping all the time in the traffic lights no matter how discreet it was.
But then again it was only for 5 days.
If I had to live with it I would probably get used to it... or disable it completly :lol:

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Na se dw na ksapolas to autokinito kai na dilwneis oti paeis pantou me to leofwrio kai tipote allo :lol: :lol:
File mou, ta lewforeia kai oi dimosies sygkoinwnies gennikotera, einai gia tin e3ypiretisi tou koinou !

Emena pou me eides, fatsarw sou gia koinos ???? :eek:

Gia na eimai ilikrinis omws, exrisimopoiisa ta merikes fores jai volefkei

A

·
0 Posts
Did you notice any difference on fuel saving?
If the system is OFF, you can easily verify it's benefits by observing the average fuel consumption figure which drops when car is at the traffic lights or waiting somebody outside the kiosk/news agent. Personally I switch it off when in light traffic and leave it on if heavy traffic in front of me and have to wait for a while to move forward. For sure the starter starts much faster the engine compared with the previous generation starters, but the question mark is by how much their working life is affected by the stop/start system and therefore the cost of fuel saved will be paid later on to replace the starter.

·
Registered
57,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the system is OFF, you can easily verify it's benefits by observing the average fuel consumption figure which drops when car is at the traffic lights or waiting somebody outside the kiosk/news agent. Personally I switch it off when in light traffic and leave it on if heavy traffic in front of me and have to wait for a while to move forward. For sure the starter starts much faster the engine compared with the previous generation starters, but the question mark is by how much their working life is affected by the stop/start system and therefore the cost of fuel saved will be paid later on to replace the starter.
I absolutely agree with you. Reliability is the question. Do these things last or do they brake after some time...? I guess we have to wait and see...

A

·
0 Posts
I absolutely agree with you. Reliability is the question. Do these things last or do they brake after some time...? I guess we have to wait and see...
Well my car is a Jan 2008 and my wifes a May 2007 both with the system and was absolutely reliable so far as were the whole cars.:)

·
Registered
893 Posts
My brother-in-law has a Smart and he told me that during the summer months he keeps the system off. It is useful though fr the rest of the year...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
File mou, ta lewforeia kai oi dimosies sygkoinwnies gennikotera, einai gia tin e3ypiretisi tou koinou !

Emena pou me eides, fatsarw sou gia koinos ???? :eek:

Gia na eimai ilikrinis omws, exrisimopoiisa ta merikes fores jai volefkei
Kanenas pou emas pou mpainoume se touto to foroum den einai "koinos" :D

An imastan koinoi tha odigousame Audi,Golf (i xeirotera Seat) kai tha eimastan kai perifanoi :lol::lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts