Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done a search, but can't find anyone talking about this...

Lovin' my new MultiAir 135, much more oomph and better handling than the 120. However, the Stop/Start system often doesn't start the engine at the first attempt. It waits a second and then has another go. Not cool for those racing starts! :)

Anyone got other experiences with the system, before I carp at the dealer?

R

·
0 Posts
Done a search, but can't find anyone talking about this...

Lovin' my new MultiAir 135, much more oomph and better handling than the 120. However, the Stop/Start system often doesn't start the engine at the first attempt. It waits a second and then has another go. Not cool for those racing starts! :)

Anyone got other experiences with the system, before I carp at the dealer?
Can the stop/start system be turned off

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
TBH I've remained rather sceptical about this start/stop system. I definitely wouldn't want my car turning itself off when it felt like it (or rather was programmed to). Apart from not starting on queue, or being prone to problems, I'm still surprised that it actually saves fuel. I would have thought that surely it uses more in starting up the engine rather than idling for a couple of minutes - although I'm sure Alfa know best.

Regarding your problem, I'd get on to your dealer/garage ASAP. But personally I agree with rjc_147 and would disable it (but each to their own). Hope you get it fixed soon! ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
The start-stop system does save fuel, especially in traffic or in long traffic light stops. The reason is doesn't always work is not necessarily because of a failure. I worked out that the system keeps 'schtumm' when the engine is still cold. Also, when your 'off-mode' is taking too much of a toll on the battery, it switches the engine back on again.

·
Registered
352 Posts
On my 1.3JTDM-2 it's working fine, always restarts first time.

In fact the first time it stopped I thought something was wrong until the 'S' appeared
on the display! It's so discreet I've never bothered to switch it off.

Sounds like there's a fault if it needs two attempts to get started, particularly on a
petrol engine which needs less effort to turn over...

Chris

·
Registered
482 Posts
When I bought the car I was told that Stop/Start worked thus:

A sensor on the battery checks the batteries power level. Below 80% charged, S/S will not function
S/S will also not function if there are high battery drain items in use (heated rear window, wipers on fast, aircon?)

I think the S/S is partly down to the combined Starter and Alternator? I believe it's fuel saving is partly to do with the fact that you don't need to "flood" the carb to start the car any more.*

* These could be facts i've dreamt rather that heard or read.

·
Registered
848 Posts
No carbs in these babies :) The car's not using any fuel when idle because the engine's turned off, so that's the main way to save fuel. I think the starter's also bigger to get the engine cranked up faster.

I wonder if start-stop will work in cars in hot climates - you need to have aircond on all the time, so this would be a huge drain on the battery. To the OP, I think your dealer's a bit lazy, there's no reason why the engine shouldn't start up again with one try.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Air Con isnt a drain on the battery, the compressor is engine driven, but you then have the issue of stopped engine and no cooling!

Its really suits the MA as they spin easier with teh start up valve strategy rather than the high compression diesels.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
There was an issue on early Mini's with the stop start system, where they needed long journeys to get the battery charged up again to optimal. The dealers knew that there was fix available (or orderable) for people who drove mostly in towns and therefore couldn't get the battery charged quick enough. That system also didn't allow the S/S to cut in until the engine had reach working temprature. I am sure the O/P just needs to get the dealer to sort it out, no biggy but do insist he sees it happening.

U

·
0 Posts
One fascinating feature of the Start - Stop system is that with the power steering being electrically driven, you still have powered steering with the engine stopped - which feels slightly weird and unexpected.
On a long test drive I was amazed how little fuss it made about starting up - no churning noises.

Re the original post - it wants sorting - get the Dealer to find out why its not catching the engine first time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally had the car in the garage. I went to pick it up last Friday and they said they couldn't find any issue with it not stopping properly. Argh! They seemed surprised when I told them it was Starting that was the issue!

A Friday-afternoon-before-a-bank-holiday test drive later, they saw what I meant, but didn't have time to look any further. It turns out it's a quirk of the system and possibly a fault. The system initially thinks it should start the engine as the clutch starts to be pressed. Then if I move the gear level towards 1st (for a quick get away) prior to it finishing cranking, it thinks the car is in-gear and so stops cranking. As my foot moves all the way down on the clutch, it realises that it doesn't matter if it's in gear and so decides to start cranking again.

I'd be interested if anyone else can confirm this. Here's how to reproduce it:

Let the engine stop. From neutral, gently move the gear lever until you feel pressure against 1st gear. Then start pressing the clutch. Normally the engine would start fairly early as the clutch is pressed, however, by threatening to put the car into 1st, my Mito doesn't even try to start.

From here there are two choices: either release the pressure from the gear stick and it'll start, or press the clutch fully down and it'll start. I appreciate it if folk could let me know what their Mitos do, so I know if it's a fault on overly sensitive gear lever position detection or a quirk of all Mitos.

Thanks for anyone patient enough to read this far...
:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont have that problem but I have noticed my Mito is taking longer to start back up with stop-start. When I
1st got it (about 2 months ago) it started up striaght away no problem as soon as you touched the clutch pedal basically. Now i have to push it flat to the floor and give it a second, and it coughs a little before I can even think about going for 1st gear. Though starts up no problem and straight away with no cough with the key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had this with my 135 MA, caught me off guard the first couple of times but I agree its when you try and shift to first too quickly, i've got used to this now though, just got to make sure you get the clutch down first.

I'll ask my dealer about it when I go in to get my interior trim panel replaced (left hand side in the drivers footwell where the fans are, dealer knew all about it though, so seems to be common)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had this with my 135 MA, caught me off guard the first couple of times but I agree its when you try and shift to first too quickly, i've got used to this now though, just got to make sure you get the clutch down first.

I'll ask my dealer about it when I go in to get my interior trim panel replaced (left hand side in the drivers footwell where the fans are, dealer knew all about it though, so seems to be common)
Interesting. On both points. My interior trim os loose at that point and my trousers often catch on it. Is that what you are getting sorted?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts