Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently done 2 ecu resets. I've noticed that the s/s works for the couple of times then becomes unavailable afterwards non stop. Why only when I've done the reset it comes on for abit then never again until reset?
I've had the s/s not working for over a year now but just a thought.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
everytime the battery is diconnected, the start stop system goes into a recalibration, assesing the battery capacity and state of charge and such...

or how did you do the ecu resets? and which of the 20 or so ecus in the car?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disconnected from the battery over 45 mins, once connected back did the throttle reset with it. I actually don't know what ecu it is. I've got 1.6 2010 giulietta. So I'm guessing it's the battery.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the battery is the issue as well. If there is not enough charge, the car will prevent start stop from working to conserve battery.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
yes, seems like the battery. after the battery sensor figures out the true state of the battery (takes a few hours after disconnecting, up to a day) the start stop ceases to function.

What do the markings on your battery say? Is it a fiat/alfa/lancia branded battery or did someone put in another one of the wrong type? you don't need an original, but if you want start stop to work reliably you need an AGM battery

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Have we ever had a Stop/Start failure issue on here that wasn't caused by a failing or below-spec battery??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had mine for 3 weeks now. resale car. the s/s never worked once. didnt really think about it thought.
What are the pros and cons to having it?

Its not going to save that much petrol, wont it cause starter wear?

How should 1 go about checking if its suppose to work or did the previous owner disable it fully?

·
Registered
72 Posts
well the starters are uprated, but I still keep s/s disabled in my car.

what year is your car? starting 2013 you can permanently disable s/s
@Cuore, its a 2011/12, has the switch on the console. never fiddled with it to test. Should i?

Could there possibly be a way to disable the first gens?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
you can use it as much as you want, but every time you start the car with the key, the S/S will be active again.

If you fit nother mass cable and tie the existing one somewhere away but with the sensor connectd, the s/s wouldn't work.

·
Registered
36,667 Posts
It's the age of the battery. My S/S has not worked for months now and I bought it new five years ago now. I should really get a new one but I don't miss S/S that much.

·
Registered
38,661 Posts
I fitted a regular calcium battery to mine 4 months ago because it was free from my dad... Stop start always works and I have had no other issues either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's the update. I think it works? To turn it off, the switch will have an orange indicator? But I've never really noticed if the engine was ever in stop when Im not moving at a traffic light... how does one tell?
The car is so quiet even with engine running... i am totally numb of feel coming from a jdm car previously!:biglaugh:

I flicked the switch and noticed that the sign comes on to tell me its enabled. But that was in park mode. I did not try again while driving.

Is the tell tale that the rpm jumps up a little when i release the brake pedal?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts