Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know traffic gives us a lot of time to think about things, some profound and meaningful and others bordering on braindead, but I think I had a legit thought so ill post it, on cars with stop/start tech, how does the aircon pump keep turning without the engine running in traffic situations? I cant see a electric motor turning the pump being a solution because in severe traffic it would kill your battery. So any boffins care to explain?

P

·
0 Posts
Yes..

With the Giulietta the aircon cuts out when stop/start is engaged.. And turns back on when the clutch is depressed.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not cool! Litterally, it will eventually get hot in there with severe traffic! And when you start driving it will go irritating full blast to get the temp down again then! Dargh! Seriously convinced this tech is more a gimmick to keep prius people excited over nothing. Stop/start is not the awnser, sorry.

P

·
0 Posts
Benzina, there is no such thing as severe traffic in VAAL :cheese:

I love the stop/start, the odd chance I get to use it I use it, in severe traffic it will in all likelihood not work in any case...

You need to hit a certain speed before slowing down for it to kick in. So if its stop/go traffic you in chances are its not gonna work. And if the engine is off for to long via stop/start the car restarts itself to ensure you dont drain the battery.

But if you stuck at 4 way traffic light, the stop/start is fantastic...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I can live without it for now but can definitely see the advantage as far as consumption is concerned.
Benzina you don’t know of a 159 AC condenser lying somewhere do you.
A new ones not all that expensive but at this stage nothing fits in my budget so a secondhand unit might be a good alternative.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I will phone them but they tend to want dealer prices for secondhand spares.
Who is the best person to seek to at reef?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Back to the stop start , on the alfa it shows nothing , on the volvo also nothing but on my ex jeep a 4l it showed 1lper hrs with AC on , if that's right what's the point of the stop start ?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Good question. In my opinion its just more things that could go wrong.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I tend to agree Turbo we once went to Zim and were stuck at the border for about 1hour I just left the car idling with AC on and the overall consumption was not really affected.I suppose generators must run without moving so cant be that bad for the motor as its got virtualy no load.
Perhaps some one can comment on a more technical basis but think its just a 'save the planet' thing

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
What I do not understand is that the auto box in the 159 was designed to select neutral when at standstill and then select drive when you touch the accelerator. Alfa do not use it. Now they use stop start on the new cars? Lot les fuss than stop start but they do not implement it!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Avoid Shaun at all costs, ask for gert be ultra nice to him, dont tell them your into alfas, and bring them a quote of the new price, scrapyards are silently obligated to ask 50% of the new price.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
My best friend works for toyota HQ in the EU, he says the "green cars" like the "bluemotion" is a joke, the only save U fuel under factual test conditions, never real life, he swears by getting a full hybrid, not like Honda's excuse for one, where the 1.8 civic FN2 gets a better fuel consumption than their "hybrid".
Just my 2c...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Basic truth of modern cars is that they become more efficient once you remove the emission control measures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts