Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm having problems with the power steering on my 156, i recently noticed the power steering levels had been getting low and if it had been raining i would find a small oil slick below the car!
I took it into the local alfa garage and they said the power steering hoses were cracked and need replacing = £180!! I've been driving since, topping up every now and again, but it seems to be getting progressively worse.

I have some Wynn's Power Steering Stop Leak, which i suppose is designed for my predicament, but some people have warned me away from such products as they can cause more trouble than good!
Has anyone else experienced anything similar, used stop leak and could advise me wither way?
Cheers..

(PS i know there are a couple of threads on similar lines, but mostly directing people to new pumps, rack an pinions etc.. i'm hoping the DIY method is an option!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
my last bimmer had a steering fluid leak and I've heard a lot of bad things about these Stop Leak stuff... I ended up buying a new hose etc.... I would stay away from these Stop Leak stuff...

Are you sure that's the cheapest you could get for the job? maybe shop around a bit more?

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
I'm sure if you ask enough people you will get the answer you are wanting to hear. If you aren't willing to pay the £180, then try the stop leak stuff. My own opinion is that you just need to bite the bullet and get the pipes changed, I wouldn't touch that stuff myself.

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
It works by solidifying when it is mixed with air, and blocking any holes. Radweld works the same way. Problem is, the steering system will always have air bubbles (as will a radiator), and thefore, will end up making your power steering fluid thicker. The end result is a worn pump, because of the extra load.

Better to spend a small(ish) amount of money now, replacing the hose, rather than a large (ish) amount of money later, replacing a pump and hose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.. i think replacing the hoses is the best option.

Where should i be looking for second hand hoses (E-bay or a breakers?) and does anyone know if they are the same on several Alfa models or will i need 156 specifically?
Cheers

A

·
0 Posts
damn I have the same problem with my 147 it keeps leaking I have to top it up every two months lol

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Why would you want to put 2nd hand hoses on?? ... you don't know their age or history and they are liable to start to leak again before new ones would.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
New pipes, absolutely. Did you know the pressure inside the system at full lock at substantial RPMs approaches 85 bar? ! :eek:

That's an awful amount of pressure... thankfully, my leak was in the cooling pipe, so not high pressure, but when it finally gave, I had to have the car trailered to the garage, costing more to do so than the repair job itself. :rolleyes:

Better to get it fixed now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you want to save money, you might try an industrial hose outfit. They may be able to fit new hoses to the existing end pieces. That's what you usually do on trucks or industrial plant.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi - same problem here. The pipes that go (apparently) are the aluminium ones directly under the radiator. I have just been quoted £42 + VAT from my local Alfa garage, and my friendly mechanic will fit them for an hour's labour! Would definitely shop around for a better price...
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had exactly the same problem with my 147. Dealer fitted new (rubber) pipes. Alu ones are well known to pit and corrode at clamping points. Cost me around 180 euros-ish to supply and fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts