Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps,

Your thoughts if you please? :thumbs:
I have several stonechips on my GT (particularly the bonnet) so contemplating getting chipsaway to sort it for me..

Has anyone used this company and if so do they do a good job?
My GT is of a metallic grey and would like to get the worst done before selling?

Regards

Dan :cry:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I had our local guy come to look at my 916 bonnet but he said the 'touch ups' that I had done were as good as he could achieve. I had it re-sprayed in the end.
It could well be that our local Chipsaway rep was just particularly useless as I can't believe my 'home-made' repairs couldn't be improved upon.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
No they ain't the best.

Go to your local prestige car dealership, more often than not they will have a good local guy that does them and his results will be far better than a franchise bloke

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the comments, will take a drive out to my local Porshe/Ferrari dealers and see what they say. Although my guess is they'll charge a small fortune!? :eek:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Cheers for the comments, will take a drive out to my local Porshe/Ferrari dealers and see what they say. Although my guess is they'll charge a small fortune!? :eek:
The dealership wont do the work but they will have some one come in and do it.

and most are better priced than the franchise guys, as they onl have there own wage to pay and not a cut to the fat cat at the top

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
It's unfair an inaccurate to state that chipsaway are not very good. It is a franchise. The system they use is indeed very good but it's only as good as the franchisee using it. I have seen superb results from chipsaway and I have heard horrible things.

It's all about the individual who is doing the work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've a GT for sale myself, so not really interested in looking at others. Company car and wanting a motorcycle forces my reluctant sale. Lovely car though ;0)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Slightly O/T but related. Does anyone know if there is a fiat paint version of 'alfa rosso' (code 130 b/b)?
I want to touch-up some stone chips (same as W3BBY), and am struggling to find alfa paint.
I think there must be a fiat version, as I parked next to a red fiat 500 last week, and the colour was identical...
TIA, Shabby...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had a chipsaway representative call me and all he offered was a touch up. Quoted me £30 to touch up approx. 12 stonechips, but this is no different to me going to Halfords and purchasing a touch up pen....
I've a feeling I'm going to be hard pushed to find the results I'm after without getting it re-sprayed?! :0/

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having said all of the above, I caught glimpse of an '04 GT (Darker Grey) with what looked like one of those leather bonnet bras?! Would you? I'm contemplating?! :0/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Having said all of the above, I caught glimpse of an '04 GT (Darker Grey) with what looked like one of those leather bonnet bras?! Would you? I'm contemplating?! :0/
hell no...
You will have no stonechips but u will also look like a tool

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a 'NO' then!? :thumbs:
I mean, we are just talking about age related marks, but because I'm a perfectionist I like things to be just so.

Don't get me wrong, the car still looks amazing and when polished the metallic just sparkles.
Sad I know, but I spend many a few moments just gazing out of the window admiring my own car :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
have you tried using chipex it takes a little bit of patience to get the nack of it (somthing i havn't magnaged to do yet) but the results are flawless and they do exact color match from your paint code

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
have you tried using chipex it takes a little bit of patience to get the nack of it (somthing i havn't magnaged to do yet) but the results are flawless and they do exact color match from your paint code
looked into it, read reviews and I'm taking the plunge..... Got myself a colour match of OEM 651 and good to go?! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts