Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all ,

I gave my 159 ti saloon a good clean yesterday and noticed a fair few stone chips on the bonnet and on the doors , what have you used to get rid of these? my Alfa is black

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not a right lot you can do if you dont want to paint. Just did the worst of mine with a rattle can color applied with a toothpick, (rattle can better that touch up cos it is thinner) mix it with some lacquer and dab on with tooth pick or similar. Let it dry apply more if needed to fill chip. If any paint is proud carefully drag a razor blade over it to scrap back to flush. (Lightly drag blade do NOT push as it will cut into paint.)
Or hole punch some 2000 wet and dry the stick the punched circle on the end of a pencil with an eraser and you have a very point specific chip sander.
Polish with farclia G10 or similar to remove sanding or razor marks then normal cleaning wax etc.

The repair is in not invisible but is is pretty good .

My rear arches, bonnet, and doors were pepperd so i just did the worst and it looks much better.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes, 100% use Chipex. It takes hardly any time to do: just fill chip with paint, smear and wipe over with fluid and it is done. No messing with rubbing down afterwards.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Also a key point is to not go over the top. If you try to cover up every last chip then it'll ultimately be just as noticeable once you've finished because you'll rarely get a 100% paint match.....hundreds of 'wrong colour' touch ins can look worse than hundreds of tiny chips.
I tend to stand a few feet back from the car and let my eye pick out the most prominent chips and concentrate on sorting those out, then the smaller ones tend to pail into insignificance.
For a faultless finish you'll have to go to a bodyshop.

Reactions: Matt Pateman

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the chips I have noticed has gone through to the metal work and is showing as a small rust spot , will that have to be treated differently?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have bad road rash on my 159 on the bottoms of the rear doors where the panels jut out. It kind of also touches on the back wheel arches. Not really keen on having to respray these panels and doors, but I can't imagine any other route.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
One of the chips I have noticed has gone through to the metal work and is showing as a small rust spot , will that have to be treated differently?
If you can, use a tiny piece of wet/dry sand paper to remove the worst of it, then apply a rust killer fluid such as 'Rust Remedy' or 'Krust'. This fluid nutalises the oxidisation process. Then apply a touch in of primer if you wish followed by top coat.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have bad road rash on my 159 on the bottoms of the rear doors where the panels jut out. It kind of also touches on the back wheel arches. Not really keen on having to respray these panels and doors, but I can't imagine any other route.
Respray and then make your own clear plastic shields oversized. Also front mud flaps help too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've gone down the respray route and had tiny rust holes. 3 months later the paint has blistered and its in to be done again. I'm unsure if this is because of shoddy prep work on the rust or that the rust will keep coming through and a new bonnet is required.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've gone down the respray route and had tiny rust holes. 3 months later the paint has blistered and its in to be done again. I'm unsure if this is because of shoddy prep work on the rust or that the rust will keep coming through and a new bonnet is required.
Bad prep, which is about the norm these days.
Rust spots should be treated before applying primer, then you will not get problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts