Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the other post on stone chips. Would be interested to know what colours are affected most? Reason why i am asking is; when we bought our Mito we had a choice of Etna black/ Red / [not Alfa Red] or Graphite Grey, which is the colour we chose.

Our car is parked on a country road so gets a tough time, especially with all the salt of late. I have [as of yet ] , not noticed any paint problems, however i may well do when the weather gets better and i can examine her in greater detail.

I know there are people on here saying there may be a fault with the paint process, but perhaps some colours are affested more than others, just a thought. By the way i have done 2k.:eek:

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I have the plain black and I have no stone chips at all (paint is in excellent condition) and my MITO has done 7,000 miles.

G

·
I have the plain black and I have no stone chips at all (paint is in excellent condition) and my MITO has done 7,000 miles.
Me too ( MiTo :lol: ) erm my Black MiTo has no stone chips at all and in fact I reckon a pretty decent paint job on it :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was disappointed when someone complained about their Etna Black!

Not found any stone chips yet, only done just over 1000 miles so far.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Same here. Plain Black and no chips. I've been putting it down to the Superguard but maybe its just good paintwork

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think that there are two many variables to be able to get anything usefull from this thread. Sure the actual colour may be a factor but there are others that are more important eg:

1. The condition of the roads you typically drive on.
2. The speed you drive them.
3. How close you drive to vehicles in front.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that those most effected do a lot of higher speed motorway/dual-carriageway driving.

Personally I have yet to find any stone chips but the amount of cr*p being thrown up onto the rear wheel arches makes me think that it is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Standard black 95hp Mito, 1850 mile on it and no stone chips (yet). Impressed with quality of the paint job, the paint on my previous Fiat was a lot more fragile.

EDIT: When I said impressed with the paint that is with the exception of the bonnet where I found a fault in the paint.

·
Registered
336 Posts
alfa red on my 120 lusso. On close examination of the paint last weekend i have some nasty stone chips on the bonnet (exposed the metal below). Done less than 2,000 miles and most of my journeys are bumper to bumper town driving. I had been cleaning the car every weekend and not noticed any chips until last weekend. This followed a few weeks when i had not been cleaning and is probably down to grit or something. Whilst i know stone chips can be expected i am dissapointed that this has gone straight through the paint as i cannot recall anything significant happening that could have caused it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think that there are two many variables to be able to get anything usefull from this thread. Sure the actual colour may be a factor but there are others that are more important eg:

1. The condition of the roads you typically drive on.
2. The speed you drive them.
3. How close you drive to vehicles in front.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that those most effected do a lot of higher speed motorway/dual-carriageway driving.

Personally I have yet to find any stone chips but the amount of cr*p being thrown up onto the rear wheel arches makes me think that it is only a matter of time.
I think this question may have some merit as I certainly don't think I fit any of the above, I drive mainly B and C roads with an average speed (according to the trip) of 38 mph with a round trip of 60 miles.

From what I understand all paints differ in there chemical make up for example matt is different to gloss and metallic different again.
Maybe this has something to do with how the paint bonds to the primer or the hardness etc.

Certainly seems black is holding up better, altough it would be interesting to know what the ratio for mettalic vs solid.

For what it's worth mine is a Veloce in Alfa Red and I would say the paint is pretty thin although I don't have a paint gauge to prove it.

G

·
Same here. Plain Black and no chips. I've been putting it down to the Superguard but maybe its just good paintwork
Mines a plane black lusso and thus far has no chips or paint issues whatsoever. I didnt pay for the superguard. My previous car was a black fiat GP sporting with crossover black metallic - which stone chipped very easily......(although you could only tell it was metallic via a direct reflection of the sun!)

So far i think the Mito has got a better paint finish, but it has got 28k less miles on it than the GP had.......so alittle early to judge really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Graphite grey 120 Veloce, 8k miles. No chips in the paintwork so far and to be fair the paint has taken a pummeling on the motorway, especially over the last month or two. I got the paint protection thrown in when I got the car and I still stand by it. Very little maintenance and after a rinse with water still looks factory new. I do however have three chips on the windscreen, shame you cant get protection for that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think this question may have some merit as I certainly don't think I fit any of the above, I drive mainly B and C roads with an average speed (according to the trip) of 38 mph with a round trip of 60 miles.

From what I understand all paints differ in there chemical make up for example matt is different to gloss and metallic different again.
Maybe this has something to do with how the paint bonds to the primer or the hardness etc.

Certainly seems black is holding up better, altough it would be interesting to know what the ratio for mettalic vs solid.

For what it's worth mine is a Veloce in Alfa Red and I would say the paint is pretty thin although I don't have a paint gauge to prove it.
It seems to me that we're in a similar situation as mine is a Veloce in Alfa Red. Whilst I've focused my comments on the stone chips, the overall paint work is pretty thin in my opinion as the rest of the car scratches very easily as per my entries on the other thread. Someone has suggested to me that the reason my 156 was OK on the same roads was because paints are now water based and not oil based. But obviously I'm no expert. If this is the case then other makes should be affected. I haven't asked around about this but my brother owns a Prius (no comments please), and he does a lot of dual carriageway driving and the bonnet is shot to pieces with chips.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Techno Grey (silver to some!) and spotted one just on the top edge of the front bumper panel and the leading edge of the bonnet when it was getting a well earned wash and wax last weekend.

It's going in soon to get the drain pipes sorted so I'll ask the dealer for a touch-up kit. Wheel arches look fine, but the car's only just done 1000 miles and we don't use it much on motorways, etc, so the speeds are being kept low ...

Well ... low'ish when I get the chance to borrow it .. usually when it needs fuel!

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Ours is Etna Black, it's done 1400 miles and it's got 2 chips, one on the bonnet, one by the drivers door and a scratch on the rear bumper. It looks like it's a hard paint and chips quite easily but hey time will tell....

I keep getting reminded to get the touch-in pencil next time I go in....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey, I visited the local dealer as they arranged an Alfa day on Saturday, and I went to see some Mitos. (They didn't have the Multiair yet). I noticed that there were tiny sticker patches on the front end of the rear wheel arches, just like my old Passat used to have. Do you have a similar patch there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an Alfa Red, 5 months old, 8,600 on the clock. There's a couple of chips on the bonnet, but I must have 10 or so very small chips each side, near the bottom of the rear wheel arches, towards the front of the car.

I had a silver Passat with the wheel arch "stickers" - presumably they were there to stop this problem. They did look ugly though - particularly as the car got older and the grime built up around the edges. I'm not sure that they're a good answer for this reason.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts