Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down here in Hampshire it is once again the magical time of year when our glorious Council undertake work to maintain the roads...

...It is tear-wrenchingly painful that the cash-strapped numpties consider that spreading a thin layer of tar and then a vast load of nasty stone chippings loosly above it, without addressing any of the vicious undulations or sunken drain covers to be 'maintenance'.

On the way home last night I was reminded how this yearly occurance provides a wonderful free service to anyone wanting aggressive grit-blasting applied to the paintwork of their vehicle, which is only made more pleasurable by the neanderthal van drivers who clearly can't read the 10mph sign or understand that driving over loose chippings at 60 might produce a hail of shrapnel which would put an artillery barrage to shame. :rant:

There. I feel better now.

Ross

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Spray and Lay! The wonders of modern highway repair? :thumbs: Not like it was in the days when I was a tiddler. Lay that tar and then roll those stone chippings in so small, smooth, fixed solid with that massive, chain steered, steam roller! :thumbs: How I loved watching those machines, coal and steam powered, which gave us billiard table smooth roads. Get some in ya' load of sprogs.:D:lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Granite chippings

Spray and Lay! The wonders of modern highway repair? :thumbs: Not like it was in the days when I was a tiddler. Lay that tar and then roll those stone chippings in so small, smooth, fixed solid with that massive, chain steered, steam roller! :thumbs: How I loved watching those machines, coal and steam powered, which gave us billiard table smooth roads. Get some in ya' load of sprogs.:D:lol:
Sure do remember those far off days, the excitment as a boy watching those lovely old Steam driven Rollers, and the perfect job they used to do, not like today with these lightweight diesel rollers, and they do not have iron rollers, they use a type of rubber wheels now, so these are not going to have the same effect as the good old Steam Rollers,- The rubber type rollers and hardly any weight, useless really, so the effect is more of those loose granite chipping's are left loose on the road service to create havoc on all vehicles.

S

·
0 Posts
They do that in the republic, up by Donegal. Stone chippings to fill in potholes, then leave it. Little non-standard 5mph signs to cover the contractor's back.

A

·
0 Posts
as with everything its down to cost.

but the paintwork its hurting is just too much.

too much for us alfa romeo owners :cry:

V

·
0 Posts
it costs about a £1 million a mile to re tarmac a road while resurfacing with tar and chippings is a fraction of the price.

avoid the road if you have to for a couple of weeks but its better than bloody great pot holes

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am happy to be able to report that the offending highway (which has just been re-surfaced as described) is now being dug up resulting the joy of roadworks in the same week as the schools go back. :rant:

There is now no chance of reaching the kind of speed that would result in the bow wave of stone chippings yourself, however, the idiots coming the other way, who have just been released from rush hour queuing purgatory race forth as if their lives depended on it, causing the captive misfortunates in the opposing queue to be subjected to a tirade of stones with no possibility of escape.

As for using another road- no chance without a massive detour :(

I love joined up thinking.

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
it costs about a £1 million a mile to re tarmac a road while resurfacing with tar and chippings is a fraction of the price.

avoid the road if you have to for a couple of weeks but its better than bloody great pot holes
They don't fill in the pot holes around here. They are still there, albeit with a layer of chippings at the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts