Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please!

I have purchased my Alfa 147 Collezione (2008) with 2 keys from a private seller in the UK without the key card. My main key was stolen during my holiday on Greece. Today I came back to Cyprus and the car is currently parked at the Airport. I took a taxi to get the 2nd spare key from my apartment but then I realized that the spare key I was keeping, it doesn't even open the car manually from the door handle. The 3 buttons also don't do anything - they only activate the key light :biglaugh:
The car is currently parked 1 hour driving time from the main dealer.
- Do they need the car to make the new ordered key to work or is it possible to take the new key and start the car without ECU reprogramming?
- From your experience, how long does it take to get the new key? I already asked Alfa Romeo Greece during my holidays there, and they told me that it can take up to 2 weeks. For every day the car sits on the airport I also pay the parking :depressed:
- Are there any alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance
Theodoros

·
Registered
30,487 Posts
To get a new key to work they need the car.
The car needs to be programmed to take the new key.

However, once you have the electronic code, you may be able to use the emergency start procedure with the new key, then drive the car to them to get it programmed properly. If they are unable to come out to the car.

PS: no point having a spare key that doesn't even work mechanically...!!

Reactions: Rockhopper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys 5 days after the order was placed, Alfa Romeo Italy rejected the request for new key and key card from Alfa Romeo in Cyprus without providing any reason... Does anyone heared something similar happening?:alien:

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
Guys 5 days after the order was placed, Alfa Romeo Italy rejected the request for new key and key card from Alfa Romeo in Cyprus without providing any reason... Does anyone heared something similar happening?:alien:
That sounds a bit unreasonable. Did you provide the documentation proving you own the car to the dealer?? Only thing I can think of is that they think it's stolen.

I'd have a very stern word with the dealer principle if I was you. It's not really acceptable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Probably.
A UK supplied car in Cyprus with no key... You can understand why they may think that!
Guys, The local dealer followed the standard procedure.
Specifically Alfa Romeo Cyprus before registering the new key took my ID and the car registration documents that are currently on my name. I don't believe that the above is the reason they rejected the order...The official documents prove the ownership.
Do you know where I can find the factory contact details? I'm really frustrated. The car is currently parked at the Airport and i also pay for that :readit:

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
383 Posts
I've had code requests rejected before from Fiat group. The most recent was a Fiat Scudo. The reason that was rejected was because the number plate on the vehicle didn't match Fiats records. The actual registration ended in N but according to Fiats records it should have ended in H. A pretty obvious clerical error but they refused to supply the code.
If your car is not on its original plates this may be the reason they have rejected the request. It might be worth a try trying again using the cars original registration number.
Is it just the codes they are refusing to supply or the key as well? If it's just the code that they are refusing to supply I can probably help you get the codes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had code requests rejected before from Fiat group. The most recent was a Fiat Scudo. The reason that was rejected was because the number plate on the vehicle didn't match Fiats records. The actual registration ended in N but according to Fiats records it should have ended in H. A pretty obvious clerical error but they refused to supply the code.
If your car is not on its original plates this may be the reason they have rejected the request. It might be worth a try trying again using the cars original registration number.
Is it just the codes they are refusing to supply or the key as well? If it's just the code that they are refusing to supply I can probably help you get the codes.
I have a photo for my car plate. The numbers match the registration documents. So i suppose that if someone changed the plates, that happened before I buy the car.

I'm really desperate. I have also contacted a locksmith. They suggested the following:
- Open the car at the airport with their help
- Call road assistance to transfer the car to their place
- Finally they will be able to make a new key

Is this a safe procedure? Are there any other options?

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
383 Posts
Might be worth calling around any Auto locksmiths that might be local. Keys can be made on the spot with no need to get anything from Alfa. I don't know anyone personally in Cyprus but I'll pm you contact details for the local distributors for some equipment that can program keys for you. Hopefully they can put you in touch with someone local that can do it for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might be worth calling around any Auto locksmiths that might be local. Keys can be made on the spot with no need to get anything from Alfa. I don't know anyone personally in Cyprus but I'll pm you contact details for the local distributors for some equipment that can program keys for you. Hopefully they can put you in touch with someone local that can do it for you.
Thanks for the PM. I already contacted that locksmith. He wants the car on his location in order to do the job. I'll contact him as soon as i get my money back from Alfa Romeo Cyprus. They wanted to prepay the whole amount to make the order.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
383 Posts
Thanks for the PM. I already contacted that locksmith. He wants the car on his location in order to do the job. I'll contact him as soon as i get my money back from Alfa Romeo Cyprus. They wanted to prepay the whole amount to make the order.
Shame they cant come to you to do it. You could have been up and running within an hour :ermm:

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
383 Posts
When you get it done make sure you ask him to give you your pin code and key code + if he is prepared to hand it over the pre code data or immobiliser file from your car. It will make life much easier in the future if it ever happens again or if you want another spare.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you get it done make sure you ask him to give you your pin code and key code + if he is prepared to hand it over the pre code data or immobiliser file from your car. It will make life much easier in the future if it ever happens again or if you want another spare.
Hey Cromwell,

Good afternoon.

The contact you gave me told me to wait 3 business days until he gets the mechanical and digital code from his "source". After 1 week he also failed to retrieve the codes. What is happening :jester: ? The same happened with Alfa Romeo Cyprus. Maybe the previous UK owner put a fake plate under the hood?!

I'm out of ideas. Now the only solution I can think is to take the lock smith guy there and tell him to try open the car without breaking something in order to release the handbreak and put gear in neutral. Then call a transport platform to move the car to his location in order to be able to continue his work and eventually make new keys for me.

Is there another solution I can't think right now?

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
383 Posts
Hey Cromwell,

Good afternoon.

The contact you gave me told me to wait 3 business days until he gets the mechanical and digital code from his "source". After 1 week he also failed to retrieve the codes. What is happening :jester: ? The same happened with Alfa Romeo Cyprus. Maybe the previous UK owner put a fake plate under the hood?!

I'm out of ideas. Now the only solution I can think is to take the lock smith guy there and tell him to try open the car without breaking something in order to release the handbreak and put gear in neutral. Then call a transport platform to move the car to his location in order to be able to continue his work and eventually make new keys for me.

Is there another solution I can't think right now?
Can you pm me your vin number and I'll check if there is anything untoward registered against the car. Did he give a reason as to why the code request was declined?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you pm me your vin number and I'll check if there is anything untoward registered against the car. Did he give a reason as to why the code request was declined?
I asked both Alfa Romeo and the locksmith to provide me a possible reason for that but I didn't get any explanation.
I have attached car's plate image. I can't find a way to pm you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
383 Posts
Comes back clean nothing untoward registered against the car in the UK. It may just be that the issue
is being caused by it being a UK vehicle. If you want I can see if I can get the codes for you on Monday.

UNTAXED
TAX DUE: 01 JANUARY 2012
NO MOT
EXPIRED: 07 JULY 2012

The vehicle details are:

Vehicle makeALFA ROMEO
Date of first registration30 JUNE 2008
Year of manufacture2008
Cylinder capacity (cc)1598CC
CO₂Emissions194 G/KM
Fuel typePETROL
Vehicle statusNOT TAXED
Vehicle colourBLACK
Vehicle type approvalM1
Wheelplan2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weightNOT AVAILABLE
Vehicle Checks
Check Status
Colour changes We have no record of this registration being subject to a colour change.
Plate Transfer We have no record of this registration being involved in a plate transfer.
Scrapped We have no record of this registration being scrapped.
Exported We have no record of this registration being exported.
Imported We have no record of this registration being imported.
Stolen We have no record of this registration being stolen.
Destroyed We have no record of this registration being destroyed.
Insurance Write-off We have no record of this registration being written off.
Vehicle ID Check We have no record of this registration being subject to a Vehicle Identity Check.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.