Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned plenty of Italian cars (Lancia Betas etc) but my new Sprint is the first to really give me problems over getting comfortable at the wheel. I am 6' and have tilted the seat runners with spacers but the steering wheel is always in the wrong place (ie too far away and rubbing on my knees). Seat forward is great but only for short journeys.

Has anyone ever adapted their car to extend the reach (rather than just the rake) of their Sud wheel (wouldn't want to change the wheel itself though)?

David

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi David

Many tall sprint drivers (and even some shorter ones) feel they need to move the steering wheel closer. Because the wheel is held on with just 3 nuts it's fairly easy to make up an adapter to fit between the wheel and column end. Typically about 50-75mm extension is enough.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Would think best to go for an Aluminium alloy - easy to machine and light, basically in compression so no need for the extra strength of steel. use nice high tensile bolts though.
Either that or get some extendable arms !
KR James

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is about 3/8 length in the studs that I have packed out with washers to see in there is any improvement. There is still a bit of thread left for the nuts.

When the wheel comes away on a fast right hander I will know I need to try another solution!:lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi David,

Try this modification. I'm also a six-footer and this has worked for me on my Sud Ti. I managed to get hold of some spacer tube at the correct bore from a friend of mine but I guess the same results can be had by using multiple washers?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I have had to tip my seats in the opposite direction to get the backrest somewhere near vertical enough for me!:lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am over 6' and have a 13" Momo steering wheel in my Sprint set at its lowest position. This gives me a nice comfortable position with the seat back wound back a bit.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sat in a sprint yesterday and had no problems with rake adjustment. I would check your seats again. I think the adjuster may be sliping / broken as I am sure you should be able to get it as vertical as you need.
rsfruitbat

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problems with my neck mean I do like the seat vertical. I can't see there is anything wrong with the seat but I haven't sat inanother Sprint to compare.

I want to keep the original wheel though.

Cheers
David:)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Do your seats look as vertical as this one?
This is a picture of the one I sat in. I am 5'7" and my head was only a couple of inches of roof with one spacer fitted all round. It is a chrome bumper Y reg.
rsfruitbat

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Well , one of the things we do here is to remove the rear spacers of the seats so that we have clearance with the roof in order to wear helmet in track days. You can try that and place the seat vertical . But fro my expirience with couple of sprints, the usual position is not vertical ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts