Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: OK guys, This time I'm really going to fix it!!!!

The car is a 1997 2.0 TS sportpak with 16" speedlines and Koni adjustables all round and has been lowered about 40mm. She,s had a pampered life and covered 68k miles......I've had a good tug on all suspension bits and cannot find anything obvious - tyres don't have any unusual wear patterns - no accident history - drives true and square (although does like to follow truck tracks on the slow lane of the motorway) and handles fantastically around the back roads.

So, problem is 75 - 82mph vibration through the steering...feels just like out of balance wheels. You don't seem to be able to drive through the vibration once it's started...unlike normal wheel wobble.

Wheels have been changed (3 sets tried), tyres have been changed (new Pirelli P Zero Neros)

New wishbones and drop links fitted

Wheels/ Tyres balance and checked for true- all ok..current wheels swapped front to back - no difference

Alignment has been reset (three times)

O/S/F driveshaft inner CV boot was torn - so DS removed and CV dismantled, cleaned/Checked/Regreased and reassembled with a new boot.

Still no better....next it's a spend fest.....

Top mount bearings have been purchased (although I've not bought the mounts...should I also change these?)
Sparco strutbrace bought ready to fit

Current thoughts on what else to change:-
Track rod ends
All 4 CV joints
Front wheel bearings
Rear suspension arm pivots
Brake pads (as a service item and whilst I check the brakes for binding)
Replacement braided brake hoses (look like the originals are still fitted)

There's also the opportunity to replace the std ARB's with Whiteline upgraded bars (at about £200) - does anyone have any views

Also is there a camber adjustment kit for the front wheels?

Is there anything else I should/could check/change...this is driving me nuts and spoiling what is otherwise a great car:(

Jon

PS I'm going to post the same on 155.org

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Got the same problem with my 156. You ansewered your own question really though with torn inner cv boot. I guarantee it'll be the that the CV has worn cos it went dry. You won't get clicking like on an outer CV as they don't travel to that extreme of movement when you turn the wheel. I've regreased mine which made it better but still there after about 65mph. Is it worse when you put your foot down? If so then I'll bet money on it!

Whitelines are prefered over eibach on this forum. Asked the same question for my 155 a couple of years ago on here!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the same problem with my 156. You ansewered your own question really though with torn inner cv boot. I guarantee it'll be the that the CV has worn cos it went dry. You won't get clicking like on an outer CV as they don't travel to that extreme of movement when you turn the wheel. I've regreased mine which made it better but still there after about 65mph. Is it worse when you put your foot down? If so then I'll bet money on it!

Whitelines are prefered over eibach on this forum. Asked the same question for my 155 a couple of years ago on here!
Thanks Joss,

I think you've confirmed what I had already suspected...as I have the driveshaft in bits, I'll replace inner and outer for good measure.

regards

Jon

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Just a quick question for you Jon, Where are you getting your CV's from? as I could do with one myself!:)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi joss,

Good old sleazebay....found both of these - not sure yet why there is a price differential but do plan to call them......:thumbs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-15...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1e57a073ab

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INNER-CV-JOIN...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad2821fe5
Actually, just had a long chat with J&R (cheaper of the two on offer) went through the symptoms and he believes 110% that it is the inner joint that is causing the vibration.....he said this is especially the case on lowered cars as the driveshaft angle affects the wear rate of the bearing by applying greater pressure once the height is dropped - the changed angle also leads to a greater risk of ds boot damage.

Ideally a 30mm longer drive shaft is needed on lowered cars - he can supply them specially made at around £200...but recommended just changing the inner joint instead - after all you get 10 cv joints for that price - each one lasting at least 2yrs!

I've ordered all 4 joints (may as well at that price) and he's only charging one set of delivery charges - bargain if you ask me!:D

I did speak to the second company who confirmed there CV is no different from J&R's product...that'll be just more expensive then!!

Regards

Jon

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) what brilliant service.....

that's a total of £78 for 2 outer and 2 inner CV kits incl 24hr delivery...top marks to J&R for this.

Regards

Jon

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
just gave em a ring. They don't stock the 1.9 jtd 156 inner cv:cry: why why why !!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:)arrived today by courier........really impressed with the quality and completeness of the cv kits. Surprisingly...the delivery arrived on time as promised but the postman didn't..too much snow:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Na neither do 156 jtd inner cv's. Think it's cos they come with spider??? Already attached. Bugger!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about trying Rusper Alfa,

Angus usually has a good stash of all manner of parts...if not i'm sure he'll know where to get them

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right,

Going full in tomorrow - all cv joints, strut top bearings, wiper motor rebuild, oil and filter changes (including the fuel filter..where ever that is??...then off the the local ATS to recheck the alignment...hoping for a wobble free zone,,

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
fuel filter is handy to get at, its located underneath a large plastic sheet just as described above but be careful as the bolts that hold mine on where fairly rusted and didnt feel too good when turning so go easy with them for fear of threading the thing

Joss that is a beautiful red 156 in your avatar, whats the exact model description and is all that nice wheels and skirting factory spec?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts