Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most owners recommend Eibach anti roll bars for the 156, to improve the rigidity of the car.
Do 147,s also need them or not so much, as maybe the car was stiffer from the outset?

·
Registered
306 Posts
An ARB does not improve the rigidity of the car, it just increases the roll stiffness of the suspension. It's always worth separating the concepts of rigidity of the car, or body structure, from the stiffness of the suspension.

The are related though - so you cannot reasonably expect a stiff suspension to work well without a stiff body structure, and this includes local hard-point stiffness, not just the global torsional stiffness of the body.

My guess is 147, 156 (and sportwagon) & GT, are all pretty similar in terms of body structure stiffness, as they are all related, sharing the same platform. This usually means the local hard-point stiffness' will essentially be the same, hence why the 3.2L models share similar suspension tune (bushings on susp arms etc).

It's often the case that a model in the family with a rear seat bulkhead will have the stiffest body, but its also worth remembering a shorter wheelbase will be stiffer with the same sill section. Hatchbacks are less stiff than saloons, as they have a bigger opening at the rear.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
So most owners recommend Eibach anti roll bars for the 156, to improve the rigidity of the car.
Do 147,s also need them or not so much, as maybe the car was stiffer from the outset?
But yes 147,s and 156 have similar roll bar thickness's so having not owned a 147 i would say that the upgrades benefit both cars in a similar fashion...

though combined with a suspension package for best effects as the standard suspension ( at least of 156's ) is a little harsh/ crashy lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 156 has more weight and overhang over the rear wheels, so Im not sure the thicker anti roll bars available would have a negative effect on the handling of a 147, e.g. could have the potential to increase understeer? As for rigidity, Ive always thought the 156 saloon was better because of the bracing at the bottom of the rear window, on a 147 and 156 sw Id fit a rear strut brace to help.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I currently own two 156 GTA's, one with a completely standard suspension (low miles) and original differential, the other has Eibach ARB's, Quaiffe diff, KW V1 suspension. The difference really is night and day. Where the standard car is sometimes overwhelmed by the engines performance and weight the modified GTA allows you to exploit the Busso's performance and is more enjoyable to drive because of it. I'm sure ARB's alone would make some improvement to a GTA but if you can find the funds I would also look at a Quaiffe diff and KW (or similar) dampers/shocks to finish the job.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think youve gone off topic there Spider95 :)
I fitted a rear strut brace to my 147GTA and do find on track days it does feel a bit firmer and more planted than before. I think as has been said the fact its a hatch with no panel behind the rear seat a rear brace cannot be a bad thing.

Allan

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Eibach ARB = :)
BIG IMPROVEMENT

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
got mine from alfisti.net when euro exchange was good, but have you tried them?

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
got mine from alfisti.net when euro exchange was good, but have you tried them?
Alfisti are out also, I tried them a month or so back. I think other than Autolusso & Alfisti.net, nowhere stocks Eibach roll bars for GTAs, everyone else is dealer but gets them shipped straight from Eibach's warehouse in Germany. All the ebay sellers are drop-shippers so if there is no stock at the warehouse they refund the sale. Eibach aren't making anymore of these roll bars until January at the earliest, and in my experience if Eibach tell you January in September, you'll be lucky to see them before February.

Reactions: will01

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Alfisti are out also, I tried them a month or so back. I think other than Autolusso & Alfisti.net, nowhere stocks Eibach roll bars for GTAs, everyone else is dealer but gets them shipped straight from Eibach's warehouse in Germany. All the ebay sellers are drop-shippers so if there is no stock at the warehouse they refund the sale. Eibach aren't making anymore of these roll bars until January at the earliest, and in my experience if Eibach tell you January in September, you'll be lucky to see them before February.
We have 156 ones in stock but no 147

Ned

·
Registered
361 Posts
strutbars will improve the rigidity of the car.
Eibach arb's are a big improvement, but if you are looking for a more rigid shell than strutbars are of help. Not a big change, but it does finetune steerin and the car produces less rattles as a bonus.
Best to have strutbars which you can adjust, so you can set a little bit of tension on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts