Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just removed the battery, tray, etc. to change the bushes on the gear linkage due to a stiff gear stick. Unfortunately it seems to be a totally different linkage set up to the one that is on the 'sticky' guide. I now remember that the 20v JTD has a different gearbox so has anybody got any other ideas why I have a stiff gear stick (non returning).

Many thanks

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Peugeot based gearboix, IIRC...might be some ideas on a Peugeot forum? I've never messed with a 20v I'm afraid.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Peugeot based gearboix, IIRC...might be some ideas on a Peugeot forum? I've never messed with a 20v I'm afraid.
I think you will find that it is a GM F40 box in the 20V. The only Peugeot part is the inner CV joint.

The "top hat" bushes for the GTV/145 twinspark gearbox linkage should still fit - just fitted them to my GT - which is just as well as they are not listed as a part for the diesels or the V6 GTV.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. Where did you get the bushes from?
Cheers

Dead cheap from Alfa. Less than £2 each.

I will look out the part number when I get back home on Thursday night.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sorry about the delay. Part number 0046467103 Description BUSHING

£1.40 each but come in packs of five. Odd number is just stupid! You would always replace as a pair.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the part number. Is there any fitting guides or even just a picture of the part because its not quite as obvious to me how to change them, unlike the bushes for the 1.9 linkage.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have just had a look at the eLearn manual in the 20V section and (albeit from the line drawings) I see what you mean about the set up being different. I suspect that I was wrong about the bushes being compatible - apologies.

Its not much help, but I have attached the eLearn gearchange troubleshooting page.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
When I was looking into my notchy gearbox I checked all the linkages on my 20V but found no problem. However, it may help you to know that I found that I could easily move the box through the gears by moving the "top hat" selector sticking out of the gearbox. It was not even slightly stiff. My recollection was that it is straightforward to upclip the cables so you can check back to the cables. There is an alignment hole for a peg that you may want to check before you disconnect. I cannot remember what gear it lines up on though.....

Keith

·
Registered
967 Posts
It might be worth checking the plastic housing at the base of the gearbox. They have been known to crack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Keith, thats exactly what I have just found, the selector on the gearbox seems pretty smooth. 'Driver', I've just given the ball joint at the base of the gearstick a grease up and it seems to have improved a little, but still feels un-naturally stiff. I will check the housing when I get a bit more time. Many thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts