Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any easy solutions to a rev counter that works intermittently? It either doesn't work from start up or just dies as I'm driving along. Can be made to start working again by a gentle tap or 5 on the top of the instrument cluster. This can, however make me look like an angry nutter to other drivers when in traffic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD 8v Veloce (2005)
258 Posts
Quite a common problem it seems... I got the answer to this from this forum.
You need to tighten the two little nuts on the back of the rev counter dial to ensure a good connection. To do this remove the 2 small allen key nuts (under bottom row of lights on the black strip) and pull the whole dial/warning light/cowl unit towards you a little. You shouldn't need to remove any of the multi connectors behind as there should be enough room, but if you do they only fit in one place. Anyway with a pair of pliers nip up the nuts on the back of the dial and put it all back together. Done!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Raingod, I'll give that a whirl and you're just jealous Wrinx that you had the older and obviously inferior Nordic blue version :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah,

100% agree with the above, my 1997 atoll blue 155 was exactly the same when I got it. Nipped the nuts up and its not failed again in 18 months.

Nice not to get those funny looks from people in traffic jams as you sit there beating the dashboard...!

Mike.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mine is a 1996 1.8TS 16V, and apparently the bolt-tightening trick worked. Alfaowner and you guys rock! :)

I just had the weirdest feeling though, that the speedo needle wasn't moving as fast as it used to... or moving with some latency? However at stabilized speeds the speed indicated matches the RPM. Any take on this?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I can only suppose it really has to do with accumulated vibrations. Roads here as not as bad as in Beyrouth, from what I heard of the place, but there still are plenty of potholes and "wild" speed bumps. All that prematuraly ages the car when it comes to suspensions, tires plus... nuts and screws!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts