Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bouncing/Freezing Door Locks - Investigation

Today had couple of hours spare so I decided to find out why, in cold/freezing temperatures that my door locks bounce when unlocking using the remote fob. I got the door lock assembly removed from the driver’s door. Once the lock was on the bench, I carefully disassembled the lock & found that the mechanism was all silted up.

I cleaned the muck out of the lock assembly & all the pivot points, the slide plunger & pivots were re-lubricated. The area where the slide plunger moves in the plastic molding was found completely dry. What I believe happens in the cold/freezing temps is that the slide plunger & locking lever are actually freezes together thus prevent the lock solenoid from releasing the lock.

Got the lock reassembled and refitted back into the door & tested the lock. I must say there is a noticeable difference in the lock operation, a lot smoother & lighter in operation.

One word of caution is be careful when disassembling lock, spring for the slide plunger will make a bid for freedom

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have this exact problem. When the mornings were cold in December the doors would unlock, then lock themselves again! I also found that the door buttons would freeze in place, making it impossible to open the doors. All part of the Alfa experience haha :biglaugh:

I might have a go at cleaning the lock mechanism then. Was the door card difficult to remove?

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door card is not too difficult to remove. Remove the speaker cover, widow switch & puddle light, then remove the fasteners as shown in attached picture. Lift door card off & disconnect the bowden cable (Interior Door Handle) & speaker cabling. One piece of advice is when refitting the door card, make sure the bowden cable is secure & correctly position/seated as this can cause problems.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts