Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year i have been finding that sometimes when opening the doors from inside they get partially open then stop or catch and the inside handle seems to be rendered useless to open it fully.

The only way to open the door then becomes lowering the window and using the exterior button to complete the latch release.

I have found that if i open the door quickly its fine but this means i have to coach every passenger i have on how to open the doors WT:eek: i usually get some kind of good ol alfas comment:mad:
I was wondering if any one else has had this issue and maybe have a remedy also??

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mine does this too, but I have not got the garage to fix it yet. My wife uses it as the excuse for me to open the door for her and let her out.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
Possibly the Bowden Cable has stretched and is not fully releasing the Lock.

In the past a few people have put spacers on the Cable at the Handle end to give it more " range. "

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly the Bowden Cable has stretched and is not fully releasing the Lock.

In the past a few people have put spacers on the Cable at the Handle end to give it more " range. "
Aha! yes that makes sence, i noticed it was a bit frayed last year when i changed the spring in the handle.
I guess doing a 'MacGyver' quick fix on it might work for a while but i plan on keeping her for some time so i just searched for a new one. Cheers :thumbs:

[BTW for any one else who reads this thread they are left and right door specific too]

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
If the cable is not seated correctly in the plastic retainer then you can loose 1 stage of the handle operation. I learned this the hard way on the passenger side after disasembling but once i figured this out I was able to fix my driver side.

Keep the mechanism well lubricated and stop passengers/yourself from jerking the handles like neanderthals and the cables won't stretch :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
possibly the bowden cable has stretched and is not fully releasing the lock.

In the past a few people have put spacers on the cable at the handle end to give it more " range. "
if the cable is not seated correctly in the plastic retainer then you can loose 1 stage of the handle operation. I learned this the hard way on the passenger side after disasembling but once i figured this out i was able to fix my driver side.

Keep the mechanism well lubricated and stop passengers/yourself from jerking the handles like neanderthals and the cables won't stretch
+1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts