Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a bit confused about my offside rear brake pads constantly wearing down at an alarming rate!
I had my caliper changed about 6 months ago thinking it could of been that, but things are still the same?
The pads do not bind when the handbrake is off and the wheel turns freely.
I have noticed however, that after 10mins+ of driving that I get brake squeel from the rear brakes and on gently applying the handbrake a notch or 2 the squeel goes away until I release the handbrake then it returns.
Any help in this frustrating problem will be very appreciative!
Thanks in advance,

Pete.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Sounds like the calliper isn't floating like it should and is resting against the disk. The sliders need to be clean and lubed with copperslip as do the areas where pads sit

Gary

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
just a thought but maybe its the other side thats not working aswell as it should and its all going onto the side thats wearing quicker? maybe just a load of old cobblers.........

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
just a thought but maybe its the other side thats not working aswell as it should and its all going onto the side thats wearing quicker? maybe just a load of old cobblers.........
that makes sense till applying the handbrake making it quieter..........its centering the caliper
so garages dont clean up the stuff they are supposed to 90 % sure that whipping caliper off, greasing the slide pins, and cleaning and greasing the brake pad carrier will help....both sides ofcourse........ooooh and file the paint of the edge of pads to help them slide better.....and copperslip them

Gary

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the suggestions guys!
I'll duly purchase some new discs/pads and strip/clean caliper sliders/pins etc.
Might also replace h/brake cable complete, just for peace of mind.
If it's not right after all that i'll throw the towel in!
Cheers,

Pete.

G

·
0 Posts
Once the rear caliper bodies are stripped down, sliders greased up etc. ....If it still does it check:

1/ Handbrake lever assembly on the caliper itself needs freeing off for full travel.
2/ Remove the rear caliper frame from the hub back plate. Clean off any corrosion between where both the alloy caliper frame meets the steel back plate. Coat the faces with copperslip and refit in reverse order... Steel and alloy don't react well , corrosive blisters for the caliper frame to twist away from the steel back plate so the caliper body itself doesn't run true and therefore can't release properly... It ends up looking like this:

/I/ "I" being the brake disk, "/ /" being the pads in the caliper. It happens a lot on Citroen/ Peugeot's in particular.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake in question still squeeling after new discs/pads, calipers pins cleaned greased etc, h/brake cables replaced.
Will try Grahameo's suggestions later this week B4 pads start wearing down at an alarming rate again and buggers up the disc.
Cheers,

Pete.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sicking Brake Caliper Uneven Wear on Brake Pad

Hi
I know this is an old thread but for everybodys info in the future...

We found that the 1 of the pins that bolt the caliper to the hub was bent. This meant that the caliper was twisting slightly on the final tightening of the bolt. There was no way this could have been damaged during normal day to day running or repair and my friend mechanic is sure that it was a badly manufactured bolt. So maybe it would be worth checking these if you have the same problems as there could be more pin/bolts like these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts