Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The guy I bought mt GTV off advised me to press the clutch fully when I turned the ignition switch and then gradually release after it starts - a practice more common to V6's rather than Alfas specifically. Make any sense to anyone ?

Cheers

Jeff

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I do this by habit too. I nearly always leave the car in gear. Especially on an incline. So this also guarantees that I don't jump the car into a wall. :)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Same here for both of the above reasons. I do it as "good practice" if you like in any car - no particular reason why it should be GTV V6 specific. And gradually releasing is probably just in case it is in gear, you don't leap through the aforementioned wall ('spose the V6 has more torque so greater leaping ability ...)

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
I always start with the clutch in, but never done the gradual release thingy.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Wouldn't you wear the clutch out sooner?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Yes. :lol: But its only like changing gear once again.

OA

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
No! The centre plate, pressure plate, flywheel face, should all clear with no drag.:): Dropping it with revs. wears it. The release bearing will be whirring around when you dip the clutch pedal, but that's no big deal imo.:):

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
If you look at the handbook to your car, I bet you'll find it tells you to start it out of gear with the clutch in.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
On those old leviathans, with a V12 engine and a crash gear box, and an SAE really heavy viscous EP oil, they would barely turn over on the starters, if the clutch pedal wasn't depressed, to lighten the drag, at sub-zero temperatures:(: Not saying Alfas is Tanks, but same practice helps?:):

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Same here for both of the above reasons. I do it as "good practice" if you like in any car - no particular reason why it should be GTV V6 specific. And gradually releasing is probably just in case it is in gear, you don't leap through the aforementioned wall ('spose the V6 has more torque so greater leaping ability ...)

can agree with that. started it in reverse with a dodgy clutch and just on start up managed to shoot back onto the pavement and into a skip, and also shove that skip through a wall and into the wall of a house.(luckily no damage to house) car not so lucky... although just a new boot and light cluster, could have been worse:rolleyes:

Attachments

G

·
A friend of my dads did this with his brand new Porsche.
Some friends were coming round to see it so he thought he would start it and warm it up before they came.
He started the car through the window from outside it (in gear) being a rather powerfull beast it shot forwards and launched itself into his garden rockery. All wheels off the ground scrabbling for traction.
Must have been interesting when his friends came to see it.

Also cost him a fortune for a new undertray and some other minor bits.
So always check its not in gear first!!!! could be pricey

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm always puzzled by this advice, since the load on the crank thrust bearing(s) (which also the oil has drained off with standing) is going to offset the reduced transmission friction. The cranks thrusts only wear while the clutch is depressed, so it's a very good idea to put it out of gear when waiting in traffic/at junctions anyway. Hydrodynamics also usually ensure that the force seperating the metal is a function of rubbing speed, so at cranking the thrusts have least protection.
I don't do it, and I don't leave it in gear so clearly I'm 'wrong' - I did once have handbrake problems which led to car introducing itself to tree unmanned.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Slide into drivers seat, adjust same for height, and fore and aft. Fit harness. Check handbrake on, gear lever in neutral. Switch master switch on, check, fuel, amps discharge. Headset on, listen in,' Driver start engine!' Clutch dipped(in neutral) Cold start lever engaged, press starter button. Check gauges, oil, coolant, charge indicator. Engage gear, Driver advance. Failed ZF, you haven't remembered the complete sequence, and that you remembered, was in the wrong order! Back to that classroom fifty years ago, Boring Innit??:D:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts