Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughters car has the standard stereo fitted with single c/d and radio with steering wheel controls. it is busted,has the wait word in the screen all the time,not resetting. She wants to fit a new one with bluetooth etc and has the surround on order to do this. We removed it this morning to see what wiring it has and there are two sets of green and yellow connectors that i assume connect the steering wheel to the stereo? Are there any cables or gadgets to allow a standard din stereo to connect to this wiring and still retain the standard steering wheel connectors? If not is it possible to buy a used working standard unit that can be used with an aux in so she can connect her i phone to stream music? Thanks Emilys dad.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Amazon or even Halfords have suitable connectors to make head units work as they should. There shouldn't be any need for cutting wires, soldering or crimping if you purchases the correct head unit and loom. Just plug everything in as it should be.
You can buy cd changer emulators that work as aux in on the original stereo or even blue tooth but it will be just as cheap to buy a new head unit and adaptor kit.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her car is a 2005 alfa Gt 2.0 petrol. She wants to be able to play the music off her i phone basically. Daughters......

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
you will need to buy aconnectoer specific to your model just for the steering wheel controls.
they are available on ebay/amozon as said.
just need to search for stereo maker and car model. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Whilst Alfa use standard connectors they don't have standard wiring into the connector.

It is all possible with the right adaptor and there is a fantastic thread on the In Car Entertainment (ICE) forum. For specific question post there rather than here.

The ICE thread for installing aftermarket head units is here:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-...ftermarket-headunit-guide-147-156-and-gt.html

If you really want to treat her then buy a double din Android unit, remove the cup and coin holders, cut plastic divider between radio and cup holder (junior hacksaw blade really easy to do) and install that. £200 from ebay with bluetooth phone connection, sat nav, wifi, CD/DVD video, bluetooth music, between 2 and 5 USB connections, 32gig SD card slot for music or other files, ability to install reversing camera and hundreds of FREE android apps. Basically a computer in a box.

Photos of one I fitted to my son's car is in this thread:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/866746-double-din.html

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Her car is a 2005 alfa Gt 2.0 petrol. She wants to be able to play the music off her i phone basically. Daughters......
Easiest then is to get a CAN bus adapter (connects2? ) to get plug&play connections to steering wheel and wiring loom, as the gt has CAN bus

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yatour bluetooth thing can be fitted to the old blaupukt unit in about 5 mins. Costs about £70. However, if your old head unit is broken a new head unit with Bluetooth and all adaptors for the steering wheel is about £130 alpine, Kenwood, Sony or other.

·
Registered
218 Posts
installing another OEM Radio will cause the CANCHECK to appear unless it has specifically been disabled.
The Radio checks with the body computer for a match and if there is no match, CANCHECK stops the unit being used!

Reactions: pendragonfalls

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
installing another OEM Radio will cause the CANCHECK to appear unless it has specifically been disabled.
The Radio checks with the body computer for a match and if there is no match, CANCHECK stops the unit being used!
Do you mean fitting another Alfa one will not work..? Both the head units I have worked in my GT, just had to put the codes in. I'm on my third one now, as the other two didn't support MP3 playback. My current one does, and again I only put the code in :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Do you mean fitting another Alfa one will not work..? Both the head units I have worked in my GT, just had to put the codes in. I'm on my third one now, as the other two didn't support MP3 playback. My current one does, and again I only put the code in :thumbup:
Yep, other standard radio should be no problem at all....(nor will a non-standard radio cause problems) ...
It's just the connect+ navi unit that's a bit problematic to install afterwards....

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Daughters car has the standard stereo fitted with single c/d and radio with steering wheel controls. it is busted,has the wait word in the screen all the time,not resetting. She wants to fit a new one with bluetooth etc and has the surround on order to do this. We removed it this morning to see what wiring it has and there are two sets of green and yellow connectors that i assume connect the steering wheel to the stereo? Are there any cables or gadgets to allow a standard din stereo to connect to this wiring and still retain the standard steering wheel connectors? If not is it possible to buy a used working standard unit that can be used with an aux in so she can connect her i phone to stream music? Thanks Emilys dad.
I ve got some brand new double DIN Android stereos for sale, Bluetooth, internet, install any app you want etc, theyre in the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Easiest then is to get a CAN bus adapter (connects2? ) to get plug&play connections to steering wheel and wiring loom, as the gt has CAN bus

The CTSAR001 was the only option for a couple years. But it isn't designed to work with CANBUS, so you have to do a couple wire swaps.

The the CTSAR003 came onto the market, which caters for CANBUS and is plug-and-play.

ALL GTs are the same when it comes to the radio wiring (except ConnectNav versions). Whether brands like Connects2 don't realise or what, but there's no reason the CTSAR003 cannot be used in the earliest of GTs and most 147s.

So, best you choose the CTSAR003(.2)

This is what I used (Connects2 AR003.2) on my 2005 Gt and it works 100% only soldering I had to do was for the reversing camera.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Want to kick this off again. I've got a aftermarket stereo. Just can't find a harness to go from car wiring to stereo. Phoned alot of shops and no one can find one. And not being electrically minded my searches online are not 100% so unsure of what to order. Car is Alfa GT 2009. With Bose upgrade amp and speakers. Not too fused about steering controls just want the stereo to work in the car. Any links or info would be a massive help! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts