Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to sort the stereo code on my (new to me) 147, got the 'wait' message, so left key in ignition for an hour, still there so left it a bit longer.
Just went out to find all dash lights / stereo off & when key is turned beyond MAR, all I get is a relay type sound, engine not turning over :confused:

Any clues?

L

·
0 Posts
do you have a multi-meter? measure the voltage of the battery. Do you know where it is located? ;) Voltage should be > 12.4volts to start the car. You didn't leave the key on with the lights on too, did ya? :cheese:

L

·
0 Posts
the radio code should be stored into the 'body computer' & registers via the CAN system. The radio maybe from another car & therefore is not coded to your car. PM to me the serial number of the radio i can generate the required code. You may have to cut a small wire at the rear of the stereo to enter this code. Alternativelythere maybe a broken wire at the back of the stereo that would explain why the code is lost.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Lacken, flat battery indeed :thumbs: , nothing left on lights etc

All the CANBUS is new to me :eek: - thought I'd bust something :lol:

I'll give the code another go (generated using BP_PgAlfaFiat.exe, but have also asked in the 'radio code' thread)

If I need to tinker with the wiring, I'll gave ya a shout :cool:

Cheers :D

L

·
0 Posts
BP_PgAlfaFiat.exe should generate the code required. Is it a 147 stereo ( 2 top corners are rounded ) or a 156 stereo fitted?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
147 type.

Fail number two of the day, I fed the code in wrong, so will have to wait to try again - better sticking to my 156 methinks :lol:

L

·
0 Posts
You should call yourself '2 of 2' :cheese:

what you doing with the V6?
is the 147 now your daily commuter?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
V6 off the road for a bit, new ARB's, bit of welding etc, so got in touch with my female side & bought the 147 for daily running :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You don't need to leave the key in the car with the stereo AFAIK 0ofer:p. If you just come out the next day I think the stereo will have done it's wait thing and be ready for you to c0ck it up with you fat fingers again put the code in :)

L

·
0 Posts
go for a 40 min spin one direction & then on the way home it'll be asking for the code. alternatively remove the stereo & hard wire it to a perm feed from a battery

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't need to leave the key in the car with the stereo AFAIK 0ofer:p. If you just come out the next day I think the stereo will have done it's wait thing and be ready for you to c0ck it up with you fat fingers again put the code in :)
Cheers, you got me sussed eh? :p :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where does that leave me? Afterermarket option only?

L

·
0 Posts
snip time, there is a very thin grey/yellow?????? wire, if you cut that you can enter the code for the radio,

NOTE: take a look & tell me the colours of any small , i'm not too certain about the Grey/yellow

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It must a replacement unit, the 147 shouldnt need a code for its original

That's what I thought? I thought that the radio is actually coded to the ECU so you can only swap them with the use of Examiner ... but I could be wrong

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
snip time, there is a very thin grey/yellow?????? wire, if you cut that you can enter the code for the radio,

NOTE: take a look & tell me the colours of any small , i'm not too certain about the Grey/yellow

Will have a look in the morning, cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I thought? I thought that the radio is actually coded to the ECU so you can only swap them with the use of Examiner ... but I could be wrong

Might find out tomorrow if I have to dive in with the wire snips :eek: :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts