Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My GT 1600 J has a nasty Sony aftermarket HU, I've bought a period Pianola Radio with iPod connection and want to fit it but have never dne this before.

Firstly, the existing HU seems to have no power, now thete's a number of things that seem to have been done as preventative measures to draining the battery when the cars been laid up prior to my ownership, I've noticed the under bonnet light has been disconnected and been told this is quiet common as they can put a small drain on the battery even when the car is idle.

Along with this the interior lights don't work, so I'm wondering if this is related, alng with no power to HU.

I need to look at the fuses to see if any have beeb removed, but to be honest I wouldn't know even if they had.

I have a battery isolator fitted now, and this is used whenever the car is dormant, so I'd like to get the electricals working as they should.

Any thoughts from other owners?

Cheers and Happy New Year

Sean

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Think you need to find a wiring diagram and start tracing the wires. The radio will have been tapped off the closest live I expect (has it ever worked?), check through the fuses you might find a dead one. Other than that all you can do is work logically through them with a testing meter.

Most of them are NOT routed through the ignition switch, so can be live all the time, which is an excellent reason to have a battery isolator. At best it can drain your Battery, at worst it's a fire risk

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think you need to find a wiring diagram and start tracing the wires. The radio will have been tapped off the closest live I expect (has it ever worked?), check through the fuses you might find a dead one. Other than that all you can do is work logically through them with a testing meter.

Most of them are NOT routed through the ignition switch, so can be live all the time, which is an excellent reason to have a battery isolator. At best it can drain your Battery, at worst it's a fire risk
Thanks Mitch, the latter is the main reason I've had it fitted, I do have a wiring diagram for the car, but I haven't done anything like this before so not sure where to start really.

Which meter would you suggest for a beginner?

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Note: if you buy the Maplin meter when measuring voltage use the lower of the two red connections. The top one is for measuring current. The markings, for a beginner, aren't as clear as they could be.

Please note that if you have the lead in the top (only for measuring current) and then try to measure voltage you will blow the internal fuse in the meter. This is not special to this meter but applies to almost every meter.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Ah that's like the one I have, couldn't find it on the net, but forgot about maplins. Could do with some new leads as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts