Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
I think what the Stelvio needs is a model with a high enough spec priced below £40k for the luxury tax. I’m not looking forward to paying the first tax bill a year after collecting it mid December. But then I wouldn’t have gone for a Nero to avoid it.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
The Ti was shown in March at Geneva so it’s been produced between then and the August shutdown. It just means the Milano stocks have cleared and the RHD Ti cars can finally be launched.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wondered why the Nero edition never was released with the 280petrol engine and now i know why they were holding it back for the Ti.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New trim is in the UK configurator, online now.

I can't see the facelift model coming out until Summer 2020, which would be Model Year MY21.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yes but MY2020 will be released in less than a month, with interior changes, wireless phone charging, new infotainment, some smaller exterior changes, etc... I do not think they will add much needed updates to tech and features though, because they proved many times how lazy they are. With their current ultra-slow pace of updates (tech&features), they are already behind most non-premium brands (and +5 years behind premium brands). A joke of the industry.

But still, this introduction further demonstrates just shows how incompetent they are.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
If this irritates you so much, why don’t you buy one of those technically superior, as you often write , and frequent their forums?
When it comes down to it the cars are actually built in a factory by people then go on a ship and either wait for a customer or spend a month from the ship as a factory order. A friend heard this week that his new Ford S-Max which he ordered in March has been built.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Because I care a lot about Alfa Romeo, and I want it to succeed - unlike you with you endless appologetic rebukes. Finally after decades of mediocore reworked FWD Fiat platform based Alfas with average power, they made a very serious standalone product in 2016, with serious budget and serious performance - just as Alfa should always be, right from the begining.

However already at the launch it was known that it lags behind on premium tech and features. Ok everyone said, give them some time.
However, they are a big company, with many employees, big headquarters, and enough budget, so it frustrares the **** out of me, when in 3 years time they have nothing to show for, except devastating slide in sales! Where are the 8 models that they talked about? Locked somwhere on a forgotten drawing board.

How can a whole corporation in 3 years time achieve and launch only trim and colour options, which are at best always as lazy as they can be (for example Giulia Veloce Ti, being made with left-over Quadrifoglio parts - other brands offer much more diverse trim option from the start btw).
So tell me, what is the whole company doing exactly all this time? How can they be so careless, so unaware of anything that is gong on in the auto industry? Don't they care about the brand at list a little bit? And on top of that they are constantly changing their future plans which makes them completely unthrustworthy in the eyes of anyone who knows how serious and harsh the auto industry is. It seems that every brand is working excepionally hard to maintain or improve their status, except Alfa, who is the only brand next to budget brand Dacia that still doesn't offer LED headlight in Europe.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
“seems that every brand is working excepionally hard to maintain or improve their status, except Alfa, who is the only brand next to budget brand Dacia that still doesn't offer LED headlight in Europe.”

I was Designer on the headlights of several Ford products and in my opinion the LED headlight is not superior in its illumination but more a marketing box to tick. Magneti Marelli were instrumental in the Audi R8 full led headlamp , so they can do it. They are highly visible but not as amazing in illumination. Given the choice I wouldn’t have them. Leave them to Dacia.
A neighbour has them on their A3 and they are irritating. Good perhaps for an A8 doing topspeed on an autobahn to bully the trabants out of the way. I’m as frustrated as you by the total ignorance of the product refresh/replace cycle. Many of these features just create built in obsolescence in German cars but when people come to replace their car they are more likely to go for the same again but in the latest version.

There are

·
Registered
879 Posts
It is not a discussion whether new technologies are better/worse, useful/useless, but they simply have to be available if you wan to matter and be competitive, especially in premium segment.
An added bonus would be better looks - Giulia and Stelvio would both benefit a lot from visual perspective with LED headliight - first, their front end would stop apearing dated, and second, they would both loose that bird-like front end.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
Interesting argument. This week I went to coach cycling and as it became darker the lighting came on as it did at the same time last year. However the lights were not as effective. It was because they have been changed to LED. Useless.
Having been a designer in the car industry for over thirty years following my Masters at the RCA I can tell you that the opening between the hood, bumper and fender is the worst case size on all models I.e Tungsten bulb headlight sized with a 110 parabola reflector. Putting an LED lamp in the car as an option will not change the shape unless you have a unique fascia moulding.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It is not about the shape of the whole headlight unit, but very noticable xenon projectos, which resemble (in this scenario) eyes, and scudetto beaing the beak/rostrum. With changing the interior of the headlights to full LED technology they could eliminate that resemblance while at the same time making the front end more modern and thus in tune with the rest of the styling - the front end is the weakest part of the design of both Giulia and Stelvio.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
I think any comment on the subject of aesthetics should be qualified by a statement that it’s one's own opinion. That applies in this case but you only write your opinions as statements. This makes a discussion very difficult so I’d better let you remain happy that your position is authoritative.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone know of or think there'll be any deals like with the MY17 Speciale's at the end of 2018 & early 2019?

As these made a decent spec Stelvio almost affordable for me or at least put them in an acceptable pain threshold, but they where just too early for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone know of or think there'll be any deals like with the MY17 Speciale's at the end of 2018 & early 2019?

As these made a decent spec Stelvio almost affordable for me or at least put them in an acceptable pain threshold, but they where just too early for me.
I’d say now is a good time to get a decent price on a new Car as dealers try and hit end of month and end of quarter targets. I guess there might be some MY19 cars sat around with good discounts. £7-8k off a new stock Stelvio Milano edition would be a good target when buying on finance.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is not about the shape of the whole headlight unit, but very noticable xenon projectos, which resemble (in this scenario) eyes, and scudetto beaing the beak/rostrum. With changing the interior of the headlights to full LED technology they could eliminate that resemblance while at the same time making the front end more modern and thus in tune with the rest of the styling - the front end is the weakest part of the design of both Giulia and Stelvio.
Couldnt disagree more about front-end being the weakest part of the design. Personally think it's one of the strong points of how the car looks... especially on the Giulia.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Went to look at the Stelvio Ti last weekend. From the pictures, I wasn't at all convinced by the wheels. Totally changed my mind when I saw the car "in the flesh". Think it looks spot-on. Nudging me towards swapping the Giulia Veloce for one. Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I recently bought the TI diamond cut wheels and next summer they will be on my Stelvio :) can't wait

trying to decide between 255/45/20 or 265/45/20 for a little more comfort over the roads here.

Any info on those FSD dumpers... are they made by KONI or like someone said by SACHS. I had KONI-FSD on my 147 many years ago and I loved them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts