Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Can't wait or No way?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I like it, but I like big 4x4 chunky vehicles (already own a Disco, a Defender and a 4x4 Yeti.). I would like one, but it would need to be second hand, so I will take a look in about 3 years time.... Cool for me.

·
Registered
34,758 Posts
If it was as nicely designed as a Macan, that'd be more acceptable than the way it is. That Mustang rear bumper hangs out like a shirt tail.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Faster on the Nurburgring than
BMW M4, Ford GT, Porsche Panamera Turbo S and the Porsche 911 GT3, Lamborghini Gallardo and Gallardo LP560-4 as well as Ferrari 430 etc.:

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

its No. 91 – also see the lap by clicking ”watch on board” . It’s the fastest lap time ever for a blo.. SUV.

The lap time for Porsche Cayenne Turbo S was 7:59.74.That is 8 seconds (eight! :surprise:) slower than the Stelvio Quadrifoglio lap time of 7:51:7. The Porsche is now only the second fastest SUV, but it didn’t even make the Nurburgring top-100 list.

Top Gear wrote:

“So far, so good, for a blasphemous SUV. Next you’ll be arguing it does corners too ?
Brace yourself. The Stelvio QV handles sensationally well for an SUV. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that no fast SUV nails such a close impression of its supersaloon cousin as the Alfa.

It’s maintained the Giulia’s sense of agility, of deftness, and super-sharp steering that’s matched by deft, controlled chassis (mis)behaviour. There’s something approaching delicacy about thr way it attacks a road…”
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/alfa-romeo/29-v6-qv-5dr-auto/first-drive

And the Autocar review :
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alfa-romeo/stelvio-quadrifoglio/first-drives/alfa-romeo-stelvio-quadrifoglio-2018-review

Clarkson reviewed the initial diesel, and he very precisely expressed the feelings I had for SUVs, until a dealer offered me a test drive in an Alfa Stelvio diesel a month ago. It actually handles better than most 4 door saloon cars on the marked right now.

The Stelvio diesel version was rated 4 stars out of 5 by Clarkson – while in the same review he was trasehing the “Aldi” Q5 and the Levante :
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson-review-2017-alfa-romeo-stelvio/

With this incredible Stelvio Quadrifoglio, Alfa Romeo is really making us reconsider, what a very fast car could look like.
That’s no less than cool for me!

Happy New year ! :beer:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,848 Posts
Need to see it in the flesh, but right now the boat ain't floating.

Just remembered. I have seen it in the flesh. Briefly while passing an Alfa showroom in Paris, and fleetingly in Alicante carpark. It caught my attention more because I didn't know what it was, rather than because its was a vision of style. Then the penny dropped. Oh. Stelvio. Hmm.

I am rather fond of the Porsche which I know isn't called the Pacman, and they are quite popular locally. Among a sea of ghastly looking SUVs, I think that looks rather nice indeed.

·
Registered
37,853 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as a cool SUV

But it escapes a seriously uncool rating from me because it is an Alfa.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I own one. TI Sport, Vesuvio Grey with Red Leather and all possible options. I migrated from a BMW coupe with a six-cylinder engine and I must say that I really like the handling of the Stelvio. I have always hated SUVs, figuring that if you actually need the space just get a wagon. Better looks and handling. Alas, Alfa is never going to bring a Wagon to the US and as I was contemplating the Giulia, I had two reasons why it wouldn't work. 1. I need to be able to transport a lot of photo equipment and 2. My wife had knee surgery and she was complaining about how hard it was to get in and out of my coupe (the Giulia would be pretty much the same height). So, I could have gone with a Bimmer SUW (wagon being out for reason #2) but they never excited me much, having driven them as loaners or been in friend's x3. Along comes Alfa with the Stelvio, the reviews were very positive (and I've been waiting for years to own an Alfa in the US, ever since I drove the 159 when it came out in Europe). And now Alfa has a CPO program in the US which makes buying a used one much easier on the nerves (6-year, 100,000 Mile bumper to bumper warranty) and the prices on used Alfas are very competitive since they are pretty new here and people don't think of them as they do a BMW. I test drove one with the dynamic active suspension and was sold. It handles like a sports sedan (makes sense, considering the platform). It is fast and it has the room I need and my wife finds it very comfortable and easy to enter and exit. Still coming to terms with the fact that I am actually driving an SUV and I am sitting relatively high up. However, every time I feel like another SUV commuter drone, I just have to accelerate into the next bend or corner, or find some fool in a german (or really, any) car who doesn't want to move out of the left lane and doesn't like being passed on the right - there is not a shortage of them here in the US - and watch them struggle to keep up when I hit the gas. So, I must say that the Stelvio is definitely growing on me with every day of ownership. So, while I can't yet say that it is a sub-zero car to me, it is definitely Cool.

·
Registered
34,758 Posts
Good to read an assessment of the coolness of the Stelvio by somebody who has actually driven one! I just took mine on a quick errand and I’m reminded how together it is to drive, with quick super steering, a feeling of lightness , great gearbox etc.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
No SUV is 'cool'. Period.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
390??!! Jesus Christ man, get a life!

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Impossible!