Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My Cloverleaf has recently developed an issue where the steering wheel on occassions (not always) shakes and shudders when breaking. I normally don't feel anything at low speeds and some days I feel nothing wrong at higher speeds. But quite often if I am going over 40 Mph and I press the breaks slightly, I get a shake.

Any thoughts on the issue? I am wondering if a Caliper is at fault either it is stuck on or is failing to go on at times?

Regards

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
I have had this before myself. The discs distort due to heat when braking at higher speeds, then once they cool down they are fine again.

Happened on a newish set of Eicher discs.

After ditching them and replacing with Mintex all was fine again.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have had this before myself. The discs distort due to heat when braking at higher speeds, then once they cool down they are fine again.

Happened on a newish set of Eicher discs.

After ditching them and replacing with Mintex all was fine again.
Eicher braking parts are truly awful, my in laws had some on their car and that 100% convinced me to never purchase such dreadful [email protected] for any of my cars.

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
That was the first and only time I have used them.

The car just didn't want to stop with Eicher pads.

I have had other cheap pads in the past such as Comline etc and they have been fine. So the Eicher stuff really must be truly dreadful stuff.

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
Eicher pagid and mintex are all awful Euro car parts crap.
I have never had a problem with Mintex or Pagid, in fact I have found them very good. For road use at least.

Also had good results with Textar.

I wasn't impressed with a set of EBC brakes that I had. Not sure what compound they were but the car didn't want to stop when they were cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks eveyone. I think I will get the wheels off this weekend and determine which disc is at fault.

Never having changed brake discs on an Alfa before (have done so on a Nissan 300zx and 200sx), is there anything weird and wonderful to be careful of?

And are there any cheap brake discs that despite being cheap are actually pretty good.

Ideally I want to get the discs and pads changed myself to keep the costs down. I intend to be swapping my beloved Cloverleaf for a Giulia Veloce early next year, so do not want to break the bank uneccessarily

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
It is an easy job, very similar to any other car.

I would avoid cheap discs, not just for performance. The better ones have a coating which stops them going rusty and looking awful in a short time.

I put Bendix discs on ours, which I got a good price on at shop4parts. Even after 4 years rust on them is minimal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts