Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I spent some time last night searching for threads in this forum about steering wheel shake/wobble/vibration at low speeds. No hits... only at higher speeds. So this post is for anyone searching for the same thing in future.

The steering on my GT started pulling to the left a couple of weeks ago. I thought there was probably a worn bush or track rod end, would get it looked at at the next service (due soon). Then a couple of days ago a high speed vibration on the wheel started, yes, but also a pretty severe low speed shake. I could feel individual rotations of the road wheels through the steering wheel when manoevring. Also the pulling to the left stopped...rather odd. Not a worn bush then.

Took a good look this morning in bright light and both front tyres are worn down to the canvas (or whatever it is) on the extreme inside edge. Rest of the tread has 3-4 mm so on a quick check tyres look OK but on full lock, the inside edge is visible and scary. Took it straight to tyre depot for two new fronts, problems solved immediately.

I had the front wheels tracked to parallel at the last service, and don't think the tracking has changed since, but these were old tyres (on the car when I bought it) so I suspect the last owner was not careful with tracking and the inside edge wear happened then. But I will get the front tracking checked at the forthcoming service (Alfa indie) to preserve the new tyres.

So - check inside edges of tyres carefully, and if you get low speed steering shake - watch out!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I had steering wheel wobble at very low speeds on a Ford years ago. Kwik Fit diagnosed it as a warped tyre. I was very sceptical until they put the wheel on a balancing machine, ran it at low speed and showed me the tyre moving from side to side. The wheel itself was fine. No idea what caused it as I hadn't hit anything. Two new tyres on the front and all my problems were solved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts