Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I want to remove the wheel in my car and replace it with a momo wheel.
I have taken the centre cap of the wheel and was expecting to find a large nut to undo.

There is a centre spline but no nut and the boss type thing seems to be riveted.

See pic;

What am i missing here guys?? :confused:

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Welcome to one of the easiest, or one of the hardest jobs on a 105. The retaining nut seems to be in shadow on your photo, but if you can see the hole down which the yellow wire disappears, there should be a locking washer and a large hex nut around there.

You'll need a big socket with an extension bar to undo it. If there's no nut, count your blessings!

The nut should come off relatively easily. The steering wheel may be another matter. Sometimes they are dead easy. Others will be a real pig and you will need to get a puller on (be careful not to damage things).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Maybe i should have pointed a torch down there and checked a bit closer!
The nut should be the only thing holding the wheel on then? (aside from 40 years?!)

cheers

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in fact, zooming in on the pic on my phone, im pretty sure there is no nut... Should i be concerned its not being held on?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a woodruff key on the shaft which is probably the only thing holding it on - they can be very tight to remove. As previously suggested - without a nut - use a puller. Without good dental insurance any other methods could be positively life changing!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont worry, this face couldnt look much worse!
Do i need to remove the woodruff key? If so, how!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
no nut!! boy you are lucky the thing didn't just come off in your hands!

The woodruff key is on the shaft, you'll only get to it once the wheel is off (don't lose it)

To be honest I would not use a puller (or at least only try with gentle pressure) until you have found a nut (you are going to need a nut in any case)....the nut should be unscrewed till it is just flush with the end of the shaft......if you splay out the end of the shaft with the force of the puller, you are in big trouble....the nut prevents the shaft from splaying.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Been meaning to take mine off for ages to restore it so after reading this it spurred me into action. Took the nut off but that bad boy ain't budging at all :cry:

Time to invest in a puller!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
get the puller that screws into the 2 small 6mm holes...those with the ears will slip off and do some damage (to you!)..classic alfa or totally alfa sell the correct types....but you could also make up something similar.

be careful if you have a bfh handy in the tool box....you can easily damage the steering box.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok definitely isn't moving with whacks from the hammer!
Before I try get hold of a puller, does everyone think there's nothing else that could be holding it on? The rivet looking things aren't bolts holding it in that have been ground down or anything?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
no, the rivet things are normal......the only thing holding that wheel on is corrosion on the woodruff key.
Somebody has obviously tried and forgotten to put back the big nut!

Get the right type of puller, it is ultra important to use the correct pitch 6mm threaded bolts, or you will muck up the threads, get a nut on the end of that shaft and tighten down the puller....and if it still doesn't want to move leave tension on it overnight and spray it with Plus Gas.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
no, the rivet things are normal......the only thing holding that wheel on is corrosion on the woodruff key.
Somebody has obviously tried and forgotten to put back the big nut!

Get the right type of puller, it is ultra important to use the correct pitch 6mm threaded bolts, or you will muck up the threads, get a nut on the end of that shaft and tighten down the puller....and if it still doesn't want to move leave tension on it overnight and spray it with Plus Gas.
And as a last resort get a hairdryer on it to warm up then some electronics industry freeze spray and put it in the centre. Metal should contract slightly and ping free.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
agree to the above hot/freeze method (hot air gun might be better), but don't be tempted by a blowtorch or you'll melt all the plastic bits inside!
Your wheel is different, as normally between those rivets on the front, are the two 6mm threaded holes where the puller attaches to...like this from a GTV......your photo is pretty darn small to see what is what, but do you have those 2 threaded holes anywhere?....maybe right down near the central nut?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh there is some small holes down in the dish. As far as in aware, it's not a gtj wheel.. It's maybe out of a saloon.
I'm just concerned it may have just been hammered on!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I used a 3 arm puller

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a 3 arm puller now. But there's a plastic casing attached behind the wheel, so can't it the arm directly behind the metal of the wheel

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good news fellas, it's off! Resorted to brute force in anger :mad:
I'm left with a large washer and large spring. Were these for the horn and I can discard them now?

Ta

1 - 19 of 19 Posts