Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the central black cover comes off the steering wheel ?

Have a feeling something is loose underneath and this may be the issue i have with my power steering and want to check if i can find it before the dealer gets involved on Friday...

I noticed this morning that if i hit the bottom edge of the steering wheel with my hand i get a metallic knock from the wheel as if something is loose and want to check it out.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just remember that there's an airbag hiding inside there, :eek:. I wouldn't go poking around if I were you.
very sound advice!! :thumbs:
I once looked into the method of steering wheel removal to swap mine over, but decided it was too risky with the airbag being invloved. There are two holes at the back of the steering wheel which give access to retaining clips for releasing the central piece, but to do the job properly, you need a special Alfa tool which the dealers should have. A dealer mechanic once told me a way round the special tool issue, using a flat screwdriver and some molegrips, but that was a last resort, and he advised against it, especially with the airbag risk.
Your dealer should be able to investigate the noise as a warranty issue.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the airbag tip guys..... :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, Guests in Walsall changed the rack as a result of the noise but im convinced its the airbag moving about.... hasnt done it all summer but now the temp is a bit lower I felt it this mornng for the first time in a while, may get them to check it (the indie i now use) when its in for service in a few months time as its out of warranty now.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The indie I use is WAD in wolverhampton, im sure there is one in Stourbridge too which might be more local for you?

Just remembered its Simplyalfas in Stourbridge, you can do a search on here for them to see if you find any reviews etc....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers johns159, i'll probably take it to my local indie when i get the chance. let us know if they find the cause when you take yours and i'll do the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts