Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i go into halfords today to pick up a head unit with a usb output for my ipad. however they want to charge me £70 for steering wheel control cable and 50 for fitting. Any1 know of any greatly cheaper ways of doing this.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Just do a search for steering wheel control adaptor online - depending on the age of your car something like this should do
Alfa Romeo 147, 156, GT Steering Wheel Stalk Control Interface Adaptor Lead
then fit it yourself :)

PS you might well be better off posting this in the Ice B&m Forum instead
That's half of what you need. The other half is a manufacturer specific lead that goes from that into the stereo's remote control input.

And fit it yourself. If I can do it...

D

·
0 Posts
That's half of what you need. The other half is a manufacturer specific lead that goes from that into the stereo's remote control input.

And fit it yourself. If I can do it...
The link provides for ordering the patch lead required :)

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bring this up again as I want to know if you can retrofit the steering wheel controls to a 147 which didn't had it when it was built. Is it possible and what do I need apart from th wheel and the buttons? Mine is a distinctive 2002.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I have not seen anyone here having success. You would need at least the steering wheel, the 'clockspring' ('rotating' piece with wiring connections), the wiring looms between the clockspring and the stereo. Probably best to start with the wiring diagram, and buy the parts from a wrecker. I think most people think this is 'too hard' and not worth it.

:)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I bring this up again as I want to know if you can retrofit the steering wheel controls to a 147 which didn't had it when it was built. Is it possible and what do I need apart from th wheel and the buttons? Mine is a distinctive 2002.
I have not seen anyone here having success. You would need at least the steering wheel, the 'clockspring' ('rotating' piece with wiring connections), the wiring looms between the clockspring and the stereo. Probably best to start with the wiring diagram, and buy the parts from a wrecker. I think most people think this is 'too hard' and not worth it.

:)
I have sucessfully retrofitted steering wheel controls to my 53 facelift 156 turismo which had nothing before. I also got the cotrols to work with the correct adaptor for my alpine stereo when I upgraded from the original a while later. The connector required is the same in 147 and 156. You should check behind your stereo to see if you have the blue/green/yellow connector hidden down the back. These are the control wires for the steering controls. I believe some cars don't have it but the majority do. You will need a new wheel( with controls) as it has the wiring inside it to connect to the clockspring. You'll need a clockspring from a car with controls too. Did mine for about £50 and an hours fiddling :) Easy peasy :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have sucessfully retrofitted steering wheel controls to my 53 facelift 156 turismo which had nothing before. I also got the cotrols to work with the correct adaptor for my alpine stereo when I upgraded from the original a while later. The connector required is the same in 147 and 156. You should check behind your stereo to see if you have the blue/green/yellow connector hidden down the back. These are the control wires for the steering controls. I believe some cars don't have it but the majority do. You will need a new wheel( with controls) as it has the wiring inside it to connect to the clockspring. You'll need a clockspring from a car with controls too. Did mine for about £50 and an hours fiddling :) Easy peasy :thumbs:
I was going to say ask you, because I recalled something you'd said about CAN bus that I read the other day - which brings me to the question: can you put a 156 steering wheel on the 147, given that it has a body computer and gets upset if you swap some stuff over?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yes the 147 is CANBUS but the wheel isn't part of it as I understand. It covers things like stereo(connect nav), body computer etc. If you fit a connect nav stereo to a non connect nav car the body computer will register that something is there that should not be and flash the milometer. Jason fitted a 4 second delay to his so it starts up after the body computer has done it's checks which negates the problem :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If you get stuck send me a PM and I'll try to help :)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I have sucessfully retrofitted steering wheel controls to my 53 facelift 156 turismo which had nothing before.
Ah, nice. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ah, nice. :thumbs:
Cheers mate. I've also managed to waste my time fit cruisecontrol, The infocenter screen with all controls as mine didn't have it and am in the process of converting the car to dual zone climate. Why though I'm not sure :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have the parts (steering wheel, cruise control, clock spring) to fit to my 147 turismo but of course the wires aren't there!
Any clues?
Did you have to make up cable for cruise etc. on your car?
Any info would help.
Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts